BA: Earth Sciences
The Bachelor or Arts in Earth Sciences is offered through the Department of Earth Sciences. This program provides students an opportunity to obtain a broad education and a general background in the earth sciences with a greater degree of freedom in choosing electives than in the bachelor of science programs. By careful choice of electives, students can prepare for graduate school, business, or industry.
- Satisfy all University General Education Requirements or Discovery Program Requirements*
- *Students entering on or after Fall, 2010 fall under the University Discovery Program whereas those that entered before Fall, 2010 fall under the University General Education Program
- Satisfy the bachelor of arts degree requirements
- Complete a minimum of eight courses in the department (with a C- or better), including ESCI 401, The Dynamic Earth, or ESCI 409, Geology and the Environment; ESCI 402, Earth History; ESCI 512, Principles of Mineralogy; and five upper-level courses, two of which must be 700 or above.
- Math requirements: 425, Calculus I, and 426, Calculus II
It is strongly advised that students complete, as early as possible, a year each of college chemistry and physics.
- Senior Capstone
Below are a resume and an idealized course schedule by semester for undergraduates interested in the BA in Earth Sciences option. (.pdf format)
General Education Program