Faculty & Staff
Assistant Professor of Earth Sciences
Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 2005
email address: Rosemarie (dot) Came (at) unh (dot) edu
My primary area of research is paleoclimatology, with a specific interest in the forcings that initiate climate changes, and the mechanisms by which climatic signals propagate globally. To this end, I have investigated abrupt climate events of the recent geologic past (i.e., since the last glacial period), as well as the evolution of the Earth's climate over the last 600 million years.
My laboratory methods include foraminiferal trace and minor element geochemistry, and carbonate clumped isotope geochemistry. I am especially interested in the integration of paleoclimate data and model simulations, which is achieved through collaborations with climate modelers and dynamicists.
I am happy to speak with motivated prospective graduate students.
- ESci. 444A, Philosophy of Earth Science
- ESci. 514, Introduction to Climate
- ESci. 409, Geology and the Environment
- ESci. 997, Seminar in Earth Sciences
- deLong, K., R. E. Came, J. E. Johnson, L. Giosan, and T. C. Lippmann (in revision), Suborbital scale variability in the Indian monsoon and links to Antarctic climate, Nature Communications.
- Came, R. E., K. Azmy, A. K. Tripati, and B.-J. Olanipekun (in revision), Comparison of clumped isotope signatures of dolomite cements to fluid inclusion thermometry in the temperature range of 74-180 °C, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Brand, U., R. E. Came, H. P. Affek, K. Azmy, R. Mooi, and K. Layton (2014), Climate-forced change in Hudson Bay seawater composition and temperature, Arctic Canada, Chemical Geology, 388, 78-86, doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2014.08.028.
- Came, R. E., U. Brand, and H. P. Affek (2014), Clumped isotope signatures in modern brachiopod carbonate, Chemical Geology, doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2014.04.004.
- Brand, U., K. Azmy, M. A. Bitner, A. Logan, M. Zuschin, R. E. Came, and E. Ruggiero (2013), Oxygen isotopes and MgCO3 in brachiopod calcite and a new paleotemperature equation, Chemical Geology, 359, 23-31, doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2013.09.014.
- Brand, U., R. Posenato, R. E. Came, H. P. Affek, L. Angiolini, K. Azmy, and E. Farabegoli (2012), The end Permian mass extinction: a rapid volcanic CO2 and CH4 - climatic catastrophe, Chemical Geology, 322-3, 121-144, doi:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2012.06.015.
- Schwadron, N. A., H. E. Spence, and R. E. Came (2011), Does the space environment affect the ecosphere? Eos, 92, 297-304.
- Saenger, C., R. E. Came, D. W. Oppo, L. D. Keigwin, and A. L. Cohen (2011), Regional climate variability in the western subtropical North Atlantic during the past two millennia, Paleoceanography, 26, PA2206, doi:10.1029/2010PA002038.
- Huntington, K. W., J. M. Eiler, H. P. Affek, W. Guo, M. Bonifacie, L. Y. Yeung, N. Thiagarajan, B. Passey, A. Tripati, M. Daëron, R. E. Came (2009), Methods and limitations of ‘clumped’ CO2 isotope (D47) analysis by gas-source isotope-ratio mass spectrometry, Journal of Mass Spectrometry, DOI 10.1002/jms.1614.
- Carlson, A., D. W. Oppo, R. E. Came, A. N. LeGrande, L. D. Keigwin, and W. B. Curry (2008), Subtropical Atlantic salinity variability and Atlantic meridional circulation during the last deglaciation, Geology, 36, 991–994; doi: 10.1130/G25080A.1
- Carlson, A. D., A. N. LeGrande, D. W. Oppo, R. E. Came, G. A. Schmidt, F. Anslow, J. M. Licciardi, and E. A. Obbink (2008), Rapid early Holocene deglaciation of the Laurentide Ice Sheet, Nature Geoscience, doi:10.1038/ngeo285.
- Came, R. E., D. W. Oppo, W. B. Curry, and J. Lynch-Stieglitz (2008), Deglacial variability in the surface return flow of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, Paleoceanography, 23, PA1217, doi:10.1029/2007PA001450
- Came, R. E., J. M. Eiler, J. Veizer, K. Azmy, U. Brand, and C. R. Weidman (2007), Coupling of surface temperatures and atmospheric CO2 concentrations during the Palaeozoic era, Nature, 449, 198-201, doi:10.1038/nature06085.
- Came, R. E., W. B. Curry, D. W. Oppo, A. J. Broccoli, R. J. Stouffer, and J. Lynch-Stieglitz (2007), North Atlantic intermediate depth variability during the Younger Dryas: Evidence from benthic foraminiferal Mg/Ca and the GFDL R30 coupled climate model, in Past and Future Changes of the Ocean's Meridional Overturning Circulation: Mechanisms and Impacts, Geophysical Monograph Series, edited by A. Schmittner, J. Chiang, and S. Hemming, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C
- Came, R. E., D. W. Oppo, and J. F. McManus (2007), Amplitude and timing of temperature and salinity variability in the subpolar North Atlantic over the past 10 k.y., Geology, 35, 315-318, doi: 310.1130/G23455A.23451
- Came, R. E., D. W. Oppo, and W. B. Curry (2003), Atlantic Ocean circulation during the Younger Dryas: Insights from a new Cd/Ca record from the western subtropical South Atlantic, Paleoceanography, 18(4), 1086, doi:1010.1029/2003PA000888.