Faculty & Staff
Joan Alincastre Cabato
Postdoctoral Research/Teaching Associate
Ph.D. Heidelberg University, Germany
email address: email@example.com
Hi, I’m Joan Alincastre Cabato and I love volcanoes!
I did my bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Geology at the University of the Philippines. My doctorate was a scholarship grant from the German Academic Exchange (DAAD) done at the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg in Germany.
Most of my research has been focused on light element concentrations and Li isotopes of major mineral phases in volcanic rocks, and quite recently, volatiles in melt inclusions of mafic minerals. I particularly like doing in situ analyses using the Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometer (SIMS) and Electron-Probe Micro-Analyzer (EPMA). Using these tools to investigate igneous processes and physico-chemical conditions, our research group seeks to characterize volcanic systems, which we hope will eventually aid in eruption prediction.
- J.A. Cabato, C.J. Stefano, S.B. Mukasa (In Prep.). Sr-, Nd- and Hf-isotope Systematics for the Yellowstone Hotspot and Columbia River Flood Basalts:Bearing on Petrogenesis.
- J.A. Cabato, C.J. Stefano, S.B. Mukasa (2015). Volatile concentrations in olivine-hosted melt inclusions from the Columbia River flood basalts and associated lavas of the Oregon Plateau: Implications for magma genesis. Chemical Geology 392: 59-73
- J. Cabato, R. Altherr, T. Ludwig, H.P. Meyer (2013) Li, Be, B concentrations and d7Li values in plagioclase phenocrysts of dacites from Nea Kameni (Santorini, Greece). Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 165: 1135-1154.
- S. Klemme, S. Prowatke, C. Münker, C.W. Magee, Y. Lahaye, T. Zack, S.A. Kasemann, E.J. Cabato, B. Kaeser (2008) Synthesis and Preliminary Characterisation of New Silicate, Phosphate and Titanite Reference Glasses. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research 32(1): 39-54.
- M.E.J.A. Cabato, K. S. Rodolfo, F. P. Siringan (2005) History of sedimentary infilling and faulting in Subic Bay, Philippines revealed in high-resolution seismic reflection profiles. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 25(6): 849-858.
Selected Conference Presentations:
- J. Cabato, F. Costa, C.G. Newhall. Magma reservoir dynamics of permanently degassing volcanoes: Mayon as a case study. Goldschmidt 2012, Montreal, Canada.
- J. Cabato, F. Costa, C.G. Newhall. The Mayon Volcano (Philippines) plumbing system: Insights from crystal zoning patterns and volatile contents. IUGG 2011, Melbourne, Australia.
- J. Cabato, R. Altherr, T. Ludwig. Li in Plagioclase: Investigating its rapid diffusion. Goldschmidt 2010, Davos, Switzerland.
- J. Cabato, K.S. Rodolfo, F.P. Siringan. Marine evidence for seismic and volcanic risks to the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant, Philippines. International Lithosphere Program (ILP) Meeting (2009), Clermont Ferrand, France.
- J. Cabato, R. Altherr, T. Ludwig. Li: Geospeedometer for late-stage magmatic processes. IAVCEI General Assembly 2008, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- J. Cabato, R. Altherr, T. Ludwig. Light Elements in plagioclase phenocrysts of the Nea Kameni dacites: What do they say about processes during and after crystallisation and just how fast crystallisation could take place? Outstanding
Student Paper Award (EOS Vol. 87 No. 6), AGU Fall Meeting 2005, San Francisco, California, USA.
- J. Cabato, R. Altherr, T. Ludwig. Li, Be, B in dacitic rocks from Nea Kameni, Santorini, Greece. Goldschmidt 2004, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- J. Cabato, K.S. Rodolfo, F.P. Siringan. High-Resolution Seismic Study of Sedimentary Packages and Fault in Subic Bay, Zambales. NIGS Research Symposium (2001), Quezon City, Philippiness.
- J. Cabato, K.S. Rodolfo, F.P. Siringan, T. Valencia, J. Natividad, A. Bravo. High- Resolution Seismic and Synthetic Aperture Radar Data Indicate Faults in Subic Bay, Zambales. National Geological Covention (GEOCON) ́97, Makati City, Philippines.
- Geology 215 Class. Sediment Facies of the Maybangain Formation, Southwestern Sierra Madre, and Basin Polarity during the Eocene. Cebu Symposium inGeology (1997), Cebu City, Philippines.