Jennifer Jacobs is a Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of New Hampshire. Dr. Jacobs received her Sc.B. in Electrical Engineering from Brown University in 1987, an M.S. from Tufts University in 1993, and her Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1997. Her research focuses on characterization of hydrologic processes including evapotranspiration, soil-water dynamics, snow melt, and stream water energy across scales through experimentation and modeling. She uses emerging technologies and large data sets to enhance the understanding of distributed hydrological processes. She currently using microwave remote sensing and dynamically down-scaled AOGCM model output to understand continental scale patterns in snow accumulation and melt. She has over 50 published journal articles on these topics. She recently completed service as a member of the Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Sciences, Inc. (CUAHSI) Executive Committee and Board of Directors and as Director of UNH’s Environmental Research Group. She is the PI of the NSF RCN SEES ICNet project.
Publications (*Indicates Jacobs Graduate Student or Post-Doc)
Knott, J., J.S. Daniel, J.M. Jacobs, P. Kirshen and M. Elshaer. 2017. Assessing the Effects of Rising Groundwater from Sea-Level Rise on the Service Life of Pavements in Coastal Road Infrastructure. TRB Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board. DOI is 10.3141/2639-01. In Press.
Douglas, E., J.M. Jacobs, K. Hayhoe, J. Daniel, B. Anderson, C. Hebson, M. Collins, E. Mecray, A. Alipour, Q. Zou, L. Friess, H. Miller, P. Kirshen, J. Kartez, A. Stoner, E. Bell, C. Schwartz, N. Thomas, R. Mallick, S. Miller, B. Audet, and C. Wake. 2016. Incorporating climate change information into transportation research and design. Journal of Infrastructure Systems. Accepted pending revisions. Resubmitted October.
Mallick, R., M. Tao, J. Daniel, J.M. Jacobs, and A. Veeraragavan. 2016. A Coupled Model Framework for Asphalt Pavements Condition Determination after Flooding. TRB Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board. Accepted pending revisions. Resubmitted October, 2016.
Mallick, R.B., J.M. Jacobs, B.J. Miller, J.S. Daniel, and P. Kirschen. 2016. Framework to Use CMIP5, System Dynamics, and Monte Carlo Analysis to Quantify the Impact of Climate Change on Pavements. TRB Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board. No. 16-2620.
Thouin*, J.A., W.M. Wolheim, C.J. Vorosmarty, J.M. Jacobs, and W.H. McDowell. 2009. The biogeochemical influence of nitrate, dissolved oxygen, and dissolved organic carbon on stream nitrate uptake. Journal of the North American Benthological Society. 28(4):894-907 doi:10.1899/08-183.1.
Whitfield*, B., J.M. Jacobs, and J. Judge. 2006. Intercomparison Study of the Land Surface Process Model and the Common Land Model for a Prairie Wetland in Florida. Journal of Hydrometeorology. 7(6), 1247-1258.
Robinson, D., J. Selker, B. Bowden, J. Duncan, J. Durant, R. Hooper, J. Jacobs, and R. Knight. 2006. Survey provides guidance for Consortium's Hydrologic Measurement Facility. Transactions, American Geophysical Union. 87(23), 222.
Jacobs, J. M., R. L. Coulter and W. Brutsaert. 2000. Surface flux estimation by bulk ABL similarity with radiosonde and wind-profiler/RASS observations over a land-surface with small roughness, Advances in Water Resources., 23(4), 339-348.
• FHWA, 2013-2015. “Flooded Pavement Assessment”. Co-PI. PI: Daniel
• NSF, 2012-2016: “RCN-SEES: Engineering Research Collaboratory for Sustainable Infrastructure in a Changing Climate.” PI.
• NASA, 2012-2014: “EPSCoR CAN: Passive Microwave Detection of Snowmelt and Runoff”. PI.
• NSF ADVANCE (internal), 2009-2010: “Stormwater and Streams – Optimizing Stormwater Management to Protect the Thermal Regime in Streams.” Co-PI. PI: A. Watts
• USEPA, 2009-2012: “Temperature Regime Characteristics of High-Quality Coldwater Streams in New England.” PI.
• USDA, 2009: “Georgia Evapotranspiration (ET) and Drought Estimation via Remotely Sensed Data.” PI.
• NSF, 2008: “Understanding Hyporheic Zone Extent and Exchange in a Coastal New Hampshire Stream Using Heat as a Tracer.” (LIDAR Aircraft Flight Time). PI.
• USGS, 2008-2010: “Urbanization Impacts on NH Streamwater Thermal Loading.” PI. Co-PIs: T. Ballestero and R. Roseen.
• NHDES, 2004-2005. “Instream Flow Studies and Water Management Plan for the Souhegan River Designated Reach”.Co-PI. PI: T. Ballestero.
• NHDES, 2006-2008. “Instream Flow Studies and Water Management Plan for the Lamprey River Designated Reach”. Co-PI. PI: T. Ballestero.
• New England Transportation Consortium. 2004-2006. “Estimating the Magnitude of Peak Flows for Steep Gradient Streams in New England”. PI. Co-PIs: T. Ballestero and R. Vogels (Tufts University).
• NASA, 2005-2009: “Landslide Susceptibility Mapping through Enhanced Dynamic Slope Stability Analysis using Earth Observing Satellite Measurements”. PI.
• USGS/Florida WMDs, 2004-2007: “Satellite-Based Solar Radiation, Net Radiation, And Potential And Reference Evapotranspiration Estimates Over Florida”. PI.
• NWS/NOAA, 2004-2005: “Development of Enhanced Techniques for Computing Potential Evapotranspiration”. PI.
• NASA, 2004-2007: “Multi-Scale Remote Assessment of Land-Surface Hydrological Response to Natural and Anthropogenic Stressors: A Case Study in the Florida Everglades Protection Area”. Co-PI. PI: M. Anderson, USDA.
• NSF, 2004-2007: “Improved Estimation of Evapotranspiration and Recharge from a Dynamic SVAT Model through Assimilation of Microwave Brightness”. Co-PI. PI: J. Judge (UF)
• NASA NIP Award, 2001-2007: “Characterization and Simulation of Remotely Sensed Soil Moisture for Rainfall-Runoff Modeling”. PI.
• SERDP, 1999-2004: “Ecological Indicators of Environmental Change”. Co-PI. PI: S. Rao (UF)
• St. Johns River Water Management District, 2000-2007: “Evaluation of Reference Evapotranspiration Methodologies and AFSIRS Crop Water Simulation”. PI.
• Florida Department of Transportation, 2002-2004: “Seasonal Variability of Near Surface Soil Water and Groundwater Tables in Florida”. PI.
• Florida Space Grant Consortium, 2001-2002: “Characterization and Simulation of Remotely Sensed Soil Moisture for Rainfall-Runoff Modeling – Undergraduate Scholar”. PI.
• Suwannee River Water Management District, 2001-2002:“Minimum Flows and Levels for the Lower Suwannee River Implementation Methodology”. PI.
• USGS, 2001-2002:“Flow Duration Curves to Advance Ecologically Sustainable Water Management” PI.
• North West Florida River Water Management District, 2001-2002:“ AFSIRS Evaluation of Georgia Crop Water Use”. PI.
CiE 642 Fluid Mechanics
CIE 741/841 Open Channel Hydraulics
CIE 745/845 Engineering Hydrology
CIE 750/850 Ecohydrology
CIE 795/895 Snow Hydrology
CIE 795/895 GIS and Water Resources
Director, Environmental Research Group, University of New Hampshire, 2010 – 2012
Professor. University of New Hampshire, Dept. of Civil Engineering, June 2011 – present
Associate Professor. University of New Hampshire, Dept. of Civil Engineering, June 2005 – present
Assistant Professor. University of New Hampshire, Dept. of Civil Engineering, August 2003 – June 2005
Associate Professor. University of Florida, Dept. of Civil and Coastal Engineering, 2004
Assistant Professor. University of Florida, Dept. of Civil and Coastal Engineering, 1997 –2004
Affiliate Faculty Member. University of Florida, College of Natural Resources and Environment, 2000 - 2006
Affiliate Faculty Member. University of Florida, Environmental Engineering Sciences, 2001- 2006
Environmental Consultant. Eastern Research Group, Lexington, MA, 1989 - 1993
Consultant. Boston Systems Group, Boston, MA, 1987 - 1989
Jeremy Belanger, Master's Candidate
Michael Bogonko,Ph.D. Candidate
Bryan Carignan, Master's Candidate
Christopher Grabe, Master's Candidate
Carrie Vuyovich, Ph.D. Candidate
Shirish Bhat, Ph.D.
Malcom Lewis Bryant, M.S.
Minha Choi, Ph.D. Candidate
Clinton Howerton, M.S.
Gary Lemay, M.S.
Brian Lowry, M.S.
William Meagher, M.S.
Ram L. Ray, Ph.D. Candidate
Gerard Ripo, M.S.
Eileen Romesser, M.S.
Sudheer Satti, M.S.
James Sherrard, M.S.
Danna Truslow, M.S.
Carrie Vuyovich, M.S.
Min-hui Wang, M.S.
Lifang. Wang, M.S.
Brent Whitfield, M.S.
S. Ramasundaram (Co-chair), F. Masters (Co-chair)
Past Post-Doctoral Scholars
Xinhua Jia, Assoc. Prof., North Dakota State University