Factor Analysis of the BMIS
How to Obtain the Same Factors I/We Have with the BMIS
To reproduce the factor analyses in the way that we had done, you need to do five things:
1. Ask for principle axis factoring. That adjusts for item reliability.
2. Ask for an unrotated solution.
3. Ask for a varimax-rotated solution.
4. ...this is crucial: Limit the factors to 2. Although more factors won't matter in the unrotated case, they will change results in the rotated case.
5. Now check your results. Usually -- almost always, in fact,
You will get two unrotated factors that correspond to Pleasant-Unpleasant, Aroused-Calm mood.
You will get two varimax rotated factors that correspond to Negative affect and Positive affect.