Youth Organics Program Assistant
Albany, New York
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 (All day)
Grand Street Community Arts
Grand Street Community Arts is seeking a program assistant for its teen gardening program, Youth Organics. Our mission is to create unity and connection, especially through the arts, in an inner-city neighborhood with racial and economic diversity. We create a supportive community and focus on its youth, presenting a broad spectrum of arts programs and performances that encourage art as a natural tool of expression available to everyone. By restoring historic St. Anthony’s church as its home, GSCA creates and nurtures a link with the unique living history of our local community.
The Youth Organics Program Assistant will help the director in program activities including the cultivation and maintenance of an organic garden, management of teen interns, and education workshops for teens and the community. This is an unpaid position for the summer session of the project. With the proper paperwork, it can count for an internship credit. An ideal candidate may be hired on a paid part-time basis during the Fall.
- Assisting in the growth of food in the organic garden (including performing physical labor necessary to maintain the garden)
- Management of teen interns and volunteers during summer programming
- Assisting in the fundraising activities carried out by the Program Director
- Assist in the planning and chaperoning of off-site farm trips
- Conduct outreach to community members and residents of the South End Neighborhood
- Distribute produce grown to CSA members, community members, and through sales to restaurants
We are seeking someone who has experience in (and passion for) as many of the following areas as possible:
- Knowledge and one or more years of experience in organic gardening
- Experience working respectfully with youth and teens
- Experience with or knowledge of the South End neighborhood and New York State farms
- Knowledge and awareness of food justice issues
- Experience in healthy cooking and nutrition activities
- Excellent time-management skills
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Grand Street Community Arts is an organization focused on relationships in a very diverse neighborhood. We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply!