Summer Education Intern
Holly Hill Farm is a certified organic vegetable, flower, and herb farm. The Friends of Holly Hill Farm is the non-profit education center based at the farm that uses the fields, animals, woods, and water sources as its outdoor classroom. The Friends of Holly Hill Farm is looking for enthusiastic summer teaching interns to assist with summer camp programs, curriculum development, and farm and barnyard chores.
The goal of this internship program is for the intern to learn about teaching organic farming and sustainable agricultural practices to children ages 3-16 who attend summer camp programs on the farm. Interns will have ample opportunities to learn all aspects of organic farming as well as developmentally appropriate ways to teach principles to the children.
Programs also involve teaching in non-farm areas such as woodland trails, salt
marshes, and open fields Interns will work closely with lead teachers to
gain insight and knowledge about teaching children outdoors on a working farm.
The internship will culminate in both the development of a farm-based lesson plan and leading a group of children for five days, with other teachers.
The internship requires an 8 week commitment of approximately 25 hours per week. Internship positions must be completed between June 3rd and August 16, 2013. Housing is not available although Holly Hill Farm is 2 miles from the Greenbush Commuter Rail Cohasset station.
• Working under the direction of the Education Director and lead farm
teachers, intern will assist with camp programs for ages 3-16 in a variety of educational settings and activities including gardening, cooking, exploring open fields, woodlands and salt marshes. Training will be provided for each of these settings.
• Interns must keep a journal of observations, experiences and
• Interns may also be asked to assist with adult and family workshops
and work with volunteer groups who visit the farm.
• Interns may occasionally assist the Farm Manager with farm work and
farm animal care.
• Interns will collaborate with Education Director to develop new
• As the summer progresses, interns will be asked to lead and teach
summer camp programs for ages 3-16.
• Applicants must be high school graduates with a responsible and
• Experience working with children ages 3+ in group settings at a
school, camp or other setting.
• Must be physically capable of strenuous labor necessary to do farm and
• Farming or gardening experience as well as an appreciation for nature
and teaching outdoors
• Comfortable working with farm animals (chickens, horses, goats,
• Applicants must have a flexible approach to teaching and collaborating
under changeable working conditions including heat and bad weather.
• Verbal and written communications skills are a must.
• Applicant must have reliable transportation as the position requires
on-time arrival habits.
• Applicant must pass CORI and SORI checks.
Upon completion of the program, each intern will receive a thoughtful, detailed letter of reference for their completed internship. There is the possibility of a weekly stipend pending successful grant funding.
If you are interested in applying for this internship, please find the
application form on our website, www.hollyhillfarm.org. Send the completed
form, names and contact information for two references, and a copy of your resume by March 29 to:
Jon Belber, Education Director
Friends of Holly Hill Farm
236 Jerusalem Road
Cohasset, MA 02025
Telephone: (781) 383-6565