Location: San Francisco Bay Area preferred, pacific-time zone required, telecommute
Status: Part-time, contract, 15-20 hours/week, flexible
Compensation: $20-30 per hour, depending on experience
Post date: April 4, 2013, position open until filled
Michele Simon, public health lawyer and author of Appetite for Profit, is seeking a smart and eager candidate to serve as the research and communications point person for the Oakland-based food and alcohol industry watchdog consulting firm, Eat Drink Politics. In the past year, Eat Drink Politics’ hard-hitting reports were covered by the New York Times, Al Jazeera, Reuters, and dozens of other media outlets across the country.
The project coordinator is responsible for assisting with the research, writing, and outreach activities of Eat Drink Politics to develop and expand capacity. The applicant must be an excellent researcher and writer with demonstrated interest in such areas as food policy, corporate tactics, lobbying groups, and marketing to children. The successful candidate will be able to work independently on multiple projects and have a healthy sense of outrage, drive for social justice, and definitely be fun to work with.
Position summary; among other duties:
Research and writing
- Conduct research for memos, articles, and reports including analyzing industry reports, financial records and databases, and lobbying expenditures;
- Draft, proofread, and edit reports; develop and format endnotes.
Outreach and social media
- Draft, design, and send regular email newsletters;
- Draft and edit press releases and outreach materials for reports;
- Manage social media accounts, including YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, and design and implement outreach strategies to expand reach;
- Assist in managing blog, drafting website content, making website updates;
- Maintain records of media coverage and speaking appearances.
- College degree with minimum one year work experience preferred;
- Outstanding research, writing, editing, and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to perform online tasks, such as HTML editing, online newsletter services, and social networking sites; video editing skills a plus;
- Strong interest in and commitment to the mission of Eat Drink Politics.
The anticipated start date for this position is early May but flexible. Please send cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample, to Anisha Hingorani at: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.