West Side Campaign Against Hunger is an innovative, customer-choice food pantry and social service counseling service. We provide more than 1.3 million pounds of food annually to clients from across New York City. The Food Director performs an essential role of insuring that food received by clients at our pantry is of the highest quality, fresh, healthy, sanitary and appealing. The Food Director leads a team of employees and volunteers toward the goal of assisting our customers lead healthy lives.
Hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm (Tuesdays 7am to 3pm), occasional evening/weekend hours.
Supervised by Program Director
- Supervise morning and afternoon Pantry Managers (staff)
- Coordinate efficient volunteer program (customer volunteers, neighborhood volunteers, school groups, corporate groups, etc.)
- Maintain welcoming and efficient service for customers
- Select and procure food for food pantry so that customers always receive healthy and balanced groceries
- Manage large annual food budget to ensure that there is always appropriate quantity and quality of food available
- Monitor how pantry food is serving the needs of customers and develop new policies based on such inquiries
- Receive and sign-off on major food deliveries
- Maintain relationships with Food Bank for New York City, City Harvest, and other vendors/donors
- Monitor pantry sanitation and storage standards
- Review existing, and develop protocols for food handling, storage and display
- Coordinate nutrition workshops for customers offered by government, non-profit, and volunteer resources
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish
- Demonstrated leadership and management ability
- Great communication skills; ability to motivate people to a goal
- New York City Food Handlers Certificate, or willingness to acquire
- Demonstrated competency with Microsoft Word, Excel and other relevant software
- Ability to use online food-ordering tools
- Understanding of nutrition and dedication to health-driven mission
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Proven ability to set and meet work goals independently and as part of a team
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
WSCAH offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.