Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking a detail-oriented, service-oriented, personable individual to join our staff as the office manager, as our current office manager has plans to move out of state. PFI offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development. The position will be located at our office in Ames.
Our office supports twelve staff and is a busy environment, with a steady stream of phone calls and emails. The office manager serves as the front door for the office, answering questions and connecting members and interested parties to the proper staff representative. The office manager also provides vital support to inner mechanism’s of Practical Farmers’ work. The office manager supervises an office support staff person.
The deadline for applications is May 1, 2013. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and references. Both email and snail mail applications accepted.
Sample duties for this position include:
- Membership Services: Maintain computer database, keep track of membership goals and growth, process member renewals, answer phone calls, help members with queries
- Fundraising Support: Send out mailings, maintain donor records
- Office Organization: Help maintain supplies, file newsletters, circulate periodicals, coordinate cleaning schedules
- Event Support and Follow-up: Make photocopies, send out feedback surveys, enter survey information, maintain traveling publications box and ensure event supplies are ready for each event
- Board Support: Copy and distribute communications to board of directors
- Merchandise Sales: Coordinate merchandise orders, fill wholesale and retail orders, maintain inventory
- Technology: Problem solving, new product research and recommendations, website, listserv, and security of technological systems
- Annual Conference: Coordinate registration and check-in for annual conference
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five year’s experience in an administrative role. He or she will have experience and expertise in technology security and troubleshooting, member database management and mailing management. This person needs to feel comfortable answering the phone and assisting members, potential members, solicitors and vendors. The right person will work well with others, meet deadlines, manage several tasks at once and work independently. Preference will be give to candidates who plan to stay in the Ames area for a minimum of three years.
This is a full-time position at a family-friendly employer. Salary is low to mid-30s, depending on experience. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment. The position reports to the Deputy Director.
Please apply with resume, cover letter and references to:
Sally Worley, Deputy Director
Practical Farmers of Iowa
600 5th St., Ste 100
Ames, IA 50010
Please direct phone inquires to Sally at 515.419.9551.
Founded in 1985, Practical Farmers of Iowa is an open, supportive and diverse organization of farmers and friends of farmers, advancing profitable, ecologically sound and community-enhancing approaches to agriculture through farmer-to-farmer networking, farmer-led investigation and information sharing. Farmers in our network produce corn, soybeans, beef cattle, hay, fruits and vegetables, and more. For additional information, call 515.232.5661 or visit www.practicalfarmers.org.