Owen Roe Winery is looking for some interested, motivated, and dedicated individuals to help us with the 2013 harvest season at our new Union Gap, Washington winery. To be a harvest intern is to be a critical member of the harvest team. You will be impacting wine quality directly, throughout a series of critical wine making points. This position will last from early September through mid to late November and will require working on one's feet for extended periods of time, as well as the ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly. Prior experience is preferred, but is not required. Forklift experience, and/or proficiency with winery equipment is a plus.
Responsibilities will include:
- Cleaning and preparation of sorting equipment using mild cleaners (Caustic solution, Citric solution, and Water) and brushes.
- Cleaning and preparation of fermenter bins (48" macro bins) using mild cleaners and brushes.
- Cleaning and preparation of picking bins using mild cleaners and brushes.
- Sorting of harvested whole cluster grapes on a sorting line.
- Daily fermentation cap management. Our active red ferments are manually punched down twice daily.
- Daily rearrangement of ferment hall to maximize space, and to help manage ferment temperatures.
Responsibilities may include (DOE):
- Barrel washing with a pressure washer, ozone reactor, and associated attachments.
- Assisting lab staff with inoculations and nutrient adds.
- Collection of morning numbers (brix and temp) on active ferments.
- Cleaning and preparation of pumps, hoses, and tanks for juice and wine.
- Racking of juice and wine from tank to barrel.
- Assisting with press operations.
- Moving and stacking of barrels, bins, and equipment by use of: a manual pallet jack, electric pallet jack, and or forklift (prior certification required)
Candidates will take winery hygiene, and listed expectations very seriously. This position requires genuine physical work, and stamina. Depending on the flow of the season, there is a potential for long shifts and/or overtime. Transportation, and housing will be the responsibility of prospective hires.
Pay will be $10-$14 an hour depending on experience.