Garden Installation Apprentice Position
Love & Carrots
(Who we are)
We design, install, and maintain organically grown vegetable gardens through out the D.C. metro area. Our gardens vary in size from single 4x8 beds to full edible landscapes and master plans.
Through our maintenance and garden coaching programs we take care of gardens post-installation. “Garden Maintenance” includes everything from seed to harvest, including irrigation, soil care, and cleaning. “Garden Coaching” involves working with customers in their garden during maintenance visits to teach them how to grow food.
We use organic growing methods from well-known farmers like Eliot Coleman, and John Jevons.
Summary of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Installation Manager, the Installation Apprentice will work in the day-to-day operation of the Love & Carrots garden installation. General areas of responsibility will include preparing for and installing new raised-bed gardens. This position is intended to transition to Installation Manager. We are looking for individuals with a well developed passion for urban farming.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Basic Carpentry (build raised beds, coldframes, trellises, retaining walls)
- Building Prep (sequester and load materials including irrigation, plants, soil materials, hardware, and tools)
- Supply and Tool inventory and organization
- Drip and sprinkler irrigation installation
- Double digging garden beds to ensure good soil structure and fertility
- Loading and unloading trucks
- Basic plant care
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Qualifications and Criteria for Selection:
- Prior experience working with carpentry tools and power tools
- Desire and ability to work quickly for long hours in varied weather conditions with a positive attitude.
- Ability to work well and with others in a garden and woodshop setting.
- Ability to troubleshoot as a team in a garden and woodshop setting.
- Ability to learn quickly while working hard
- Acute attention to detail
This position is unpaid. Limited housing is available onsite, and in Arlington, VA. Apprentices will have access to vegetables grown in the Love & Carrots Garden, and overflow from client gardens.