Member Support Fellowship
Food Recovery Network unites students on college campuses to fight waste and feed people by donating the surplus unsold food from their colleges and donating it to hungry Americans. Made up of 43 colleges and universities, FRN has recovered over 235,000 pounds of food and is rapidly expanding. The mission of FRN Member Support is to provide resources and advice to official FRN chapters to expand their capacity and impact, and to increase visibility on campus, in their communities, and on a national level.
FRN is looking for a fellow who will work as part of the team in the national office. The fellow’s work will be primarily communications-based, seeking out stories from our official chapters to tell via blog posts, social media, and traditional media. The fellow will collect and organize vital information from each chapter and use it to enhance connections and collaboration across the FRN movement.
Additional work with other members of the National Team to enhance FRN’s programming and overall function will be required. This fellowship will offer many opportunities for skill development in areas such as leadership and communication. There is the opportunity for the position to turn into a permanent position in the future.
Commitment: The position will require 40 hours of work per week for 16 weeks ideally from January 13, 2014 – May 2. Later start and end dates can be negotiated. Work will be conducted between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm; occasional hours after traditional work hours may be required. Food Recovery Network is located on the University of Maryland College Park campus.
Compensation: This position pays a $5,350 stipend for the entirety of the fellowship, payable twice per month. Fellow will also receive a $150/month stipend for transportation.
- Work under the Director of Member Support and with other staff members to expand the capacity and impact of official FRN chapters–working with student leaders at campuses across the country to plan and execute campaigns related to volunteer recruitment and retention and raising awareness about hunger and food waste issues, among other topics
- Ensure a smooth transition for chapters between the expansion process and being an official FRN chapter
- Seek out and tell the stories of students and community members involved in FRN operations via blogs, social media and traditional press
- Other duties as assigned
- Campus organizing experience–demonstrated ability to rally and support others to join a cause or organization
- Impeccable attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Google Apps, Microsoft Office Suite and other similar software; ability to learn new platforms successfully
- Able to deliver in a dynamic, fun, and results-oriented environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience blogging
- Experience using social media platforms for an organization
- Familiarity with food justice issues
- Basic website modification skills (WordPress) and/or willingness to learn
- Other fun skills
If interested, please send a brief cover letter, resume, writing sample (700 words or less) and two professional references to Sara Gassman, Director of Member Support at Sara.Gassman@FoodRecoveryNetwork.org. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Priority deadline Jan. 20, 2014.