Located in Norwell,
Massachusetts, Norwell Farms is a community-supported farm that strives to
bring our community together through nutritious seasonal produce, engaging
volunteer opportunities, and local outreach. This season, we will
actively crop 5 of our 7.5 acres, with the remainder of the acreage in
soil-building cover crops. We focus on growing high quality heirloom and
open-pollinated produce for an 85-member CSA, a retail farm stand, and local
farmer’s markets. We farm without the use of chemical herbicides,
pesticides, or synthetic fertilizers and are taking steps to achieve organic
Field Assistant Description:
Norwell Farms is looking for two Field Assistants who
are passionate about hands-on, fast-paced farm work. If you are
interested in learning about sustainable agriculture from minestrone soup to
tractor nuts, we are interested in hearing from you. Field Assistants
will work directly with the Farm Manager to grow and harvest high quality
produce for our CSA, farm stand, and farmer’s markets. These positions
are full-time* seasonal jobs from May until October—only hard working and
reliable applicants need apply.
Field Assistant Responsibilities:
- Production: Production tasks include greenhouse seeding, propagation, and watering. Field production tasks include transplanting, irrigation, and cultivation of weeds.
- Harvest: Daily harvest of crops to meet CSA, farm stand, and market needs. Harvest also includes post-harvest washing, packing, and storage of crops.
- Marketing: Help be the face of the farm while members pick up shares and customers browse the shelves at our farm stand and markets. Marketing tasks also include packing CSA shares and preparing for markets.
- Tractor: Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to learn about our primary tillage tractor and cultivating tractor. Tasks include ploughing, bed forming, and mechanical cultivation.
Field Assistant Qualifications:
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability to work outdoors an average of 50 hours per week in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Willingness and eagerness to learn on a working farm
- Background in sustainable agriculture or other outdoor centric jobs encouraged
- Tractor experience a plus
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We can assist in finding local housing, if needed.
If you think this position might be a good fit with your experience and ability, please email a letter of interest and resume to Scott DC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions will remain open until filled.