The Boston Public Market (BMPA) is a not for profit organization dedicated to the creation of a year-round public market in downtown Boston. The BPMA manages two outdoor farmers markets in Downtown Boston every Monday - Thursday from May 20th through November 26th.
We are seeking a Market Associate to assist with market operations throughout the season.
The Farmers Market Associate will assist the Market Manager with all aspects of market operations. This requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including: customers, farmers, volunteers, health inspectors, police and city transportation departments.
The Associate’s general responsibilities include: coordinating market set-up and break-down each day, assisting vendors with sales, market counts, helping promote the market and BPMA’s ultimate mission of establishing a year-round public market in Boston, assisting with social media and general outreach to promote the market, operating and promoting the EBT (food stamps) program and assisting with the market’s special events program.
The Market Associate must be available during market hours throughout the season, be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions; and be able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as inter-dependently with the team of volunteers and staff members.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and Massachusetts agriculture. The Market Associate must be reliable, self-motivated and have good communication and customer service skills.
Specific responsibilities will be determined by the needs of the Market Manager, customers, our partners and the vendors at the market. Generally, the Market Associate is responsible for the following activities:
- Arrives at market 2 hours before opening to coordinate market set-up and stays at market until all vendors have left (usually no more than 1 hour after market closing).
- Sets up safety cones prior to vendor arrival, sets up BPMA tent, table and display
- Places directional signs promoting the market around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and removes those signs at the close of market
- Coordinates vendor parking and set-up, ensuring vendors are in the correct space
- Staffs the BPMA tent providing information to customers, selling BPMA merchandise and helping run the EBT/Credit Card machine
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with the Market Manager, vendors, customers and community members.
- Assists vendors, community representatives and customers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforces market rules
- Occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks and by assisting vendors with sales during especially busy times.
OUTREACH AND MARKETING
- Works with the Market Manager and our partners to promote the market through social media, contributing to weekly email newsletters and promotion throughout the community
- Educates customers about the BPMA’s mission to create a year-round public market.
- Assists with the development and coordination of special events – including educational programming, harvest festivals, fundraisers and musical performances
This is a seasonal position beginning May 20, 2013 and ending November 26, 2013. It requires assisting with market operations four days per week. We are looking for an Associate who can commit to 40 hours each week during the entire market season (every Monday through Thursday, 9:30am – 7:30pm). Pay rate is $10 per hour, we do not offer any health benefits.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Boston Public Market Association