Urban Farmer Apprenticeships
We are a full service organic vegetable gardening company. Our team of Urban Farmers maintains our roster of gardens from seed to harvest. Our Urban Farmer Apprentices accompany Urban farmers on their rounds of garden care, learning about all the ins and outs of organic growing. They also have a hand in Love & Carrots operations-- everything from seedlings in the greenhouse to double digging new garden beds.
Basic Duties and Schedule:
- The 2014 season runs from March 1st to November 30th. Urban Farmer Apprenticeships require a commitment of three days a week for three months during this window.
- Shadow Urban Farmers, rotating between routes of 15 to 30 gardens. Apprentices gain exposure to a host of garden types, styles, sizes, strengths and weaknesses.
- Assist with Love & Carrots operations including the following:
- Greenhouse duties: Seeding, transplanting, mixing soil medium
- Care of the large Love & Carrots experimental vegetable garden
- Help on new garden installations
- Lumber preparation for raised beds
- Compost oversight
- Loading and unloading trucks
- Supply runs
- Record keeping
- Other projects as needed
- One or more season of commercial organic vegetable growing preferred
- Ability to work long hours in varied weather conditions with a positive attitude.
- Excellent time management and organization.
- Self starter- able to absorb processes quickly and anticipate how to be helpful.
- A well-developed interest and commitment to growing good food.
- Must provide your own transportation to and from the Love & Carrots headquarters in Hyattsville, MD
This position is unpaid. Limited housing is available onsite, and in Arlington, VA. Apprentices will have access to vegetables grown in the Love & Carrots Garden, and overflow from client gardens.