Hudson Valley Farm to School get kids excited about fresh vegetables and real
food. We offer hands-on cooking lessons taught by professional chefs, visits
to Hudson Valley farms, and monthly taste tests of recipes made with locally
grown vegetables in the school cafeteria. We give children the tools to make
healthful decisions about what they eat so they can grow up to be healthy,
HVFS is seeking an undergraduate, graduate student, or recent graduate, to
intern with us for the 2013/14 school-year from October through June.
• Data entry
• Writing blog posts, e-newsletter articles, and fundraising appeals
• Social media outreach, including Twitter & Facebook
• Updating website
• Graphic design work: creating posters and outreach materials
• Clerical & special event support
• Minimal travel: Weekly meetings with supervisor, periodic visits to
schools and farms.
• Must be an undergraduate, graduate-level student or recent graduate
with education and/or strong interest and experience in food policy, local
food advocacy, ag. education, and student wellness and nutrition.
• Accurate with numbers, organized with attention to detail.
• Competent in: Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Office, basic HTML,
Blogspot, Wordpress (Graphic design skills a plus!)
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to manage time, balance multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
• Must live in or close to Putnam/Dutchess counties.
• Interest in the farm to school movement and learning about and
supporting Hudson Valley Farm to School’s mission in the community.
Compensation, Time and Commitment
• This is an unpaid internship
• Potential for school credit • 5-10 hours per week (hours are flexible and can be adjusted to align with
• Full school-year commitment from October 2013 through June 2014
• Interns will engage in weekly meetings with supervisor to ensure
program progress and to provide feedback and guidance.
• Interns will engage in real-world, practical application of work
duties through periodic onsite visits to schools and farms.
Please send resume and cover letter by September 30, 2013 to: Sandy McKelvey,
Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hudson Valley Farm to School (HVFS) is a nonprofit project sponsored by the
Hudson Highlands Land Trust. Our mission is to promote student wellness by
encouraging the use of fresh, local farm produce in school cafeterias and
offering classroom-based cooking classes combined with nutrition and food
For more information, please visit: www.hvfs.org