New England Village, Inc., a nationally renowned provider org. in Southeastern
Massachusetts providing an array of residential and day services to
individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is seeking an
experienced and enthusiastic individual to manage our Colchester Neighborhood
Farm located in Plympton, MA.
The Farm Manager will develop and manage all aspects of NEV’s Colchester
Neighborhood Farm production fields including growing organic vegetables,
fruits and herbs; identifying and selling in local markets and on-site;
managing farm interns and working with volunteers.
The Farm Manager must have a strong, practical knowledge of agricultural
skills and farm management, and a passionate commitment to providing specific
foods for improved public health. The manager has primary responsibility for
the planning, coordination and implementation of all work and activities at
CNF. CNF currently has 2/3 acres under plow with the potential to expand.
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with New England Village
policies, funding source regulations, accreditation standards and applicable
• Supervision of farm crew supervisor, crew members, interns and
• Coordination with CNF staff and Director of Day Services as it relates
to scheduled work offerings, events and projects
• Produce annual field plans
• Maintain CNF’s standards of production to ensure the highest quality
• Maintain farm infrastructure and landscape with the help of staff,
crew, volunteers and NEV’s Facilities Department
• Cooperate with community partners and present professionally on behalf
• Seed ordering and material acquisition
• Planning and implementation of weekly planting schedule
• Insect and weed control (within organic guidelines), fertility
monitoring and general field observation
• Cultivation activities
• Irrigation planning and implementation
• Soil building program including composting
• Installation, maintenance and monitoring of animal lodging
• Plan weekly harvest schedule, harvest, market and deliver to CSA
members and other outlets to be agreed upon
• Assist with marketing and outreach efforts of NEV/CNF
• Integration of farm with other NEV programs
• Participate in planning for long-term farm development
• Coordinate produce needs with culinary, market and educational
Education: Bachelor’s degree in agricultural field preferred; Comprehensive
experience in farming required.
Experience: Minimum of three years experience of full-season management,
demonstrated farm planning experience and working knowledge of farm
infrastructure, experience in growing using organic principles, farm machinery
and management of administrative and record keeping tasks related to running
the farm business.
Skills and Abilities: Able to work in the field, outdoors including
repetitive physical labor, ability to work evenings/weekends in high season,
current driver’s license, comfortable operating farm equipment, excellent oral
and written communication skills.
Compensation: $36-$38K annually depending upon experience & education.
Employee Benefits offered include, but not limited to, paid time off, health
and dental insurance.