"Experiential learning is a major cornerstone of the EcoGastronomy dual major. Some experiences were:
- participate in outside activities and write about them
- field trips to farms, composting areas, farmers markets, and the like
- hands on learning in a professional kitchen by actually cooking different kinds of dishes and entire meals
- research on a real town in the community and wrote an actual needs assessment and then wrote a grant for an intervention project that we had developed for the town
- farm visits, attend guest lectures, participate in community pot luck dinners, herb walks and group cooking experiences, intern with kindergarten kids at the Early Sprouts program at the CSDC (Child Study and Development Center) on campus, participate in the organic garden club, SlowFood UNH, and the Waysmeet food drive for the cornucopia food basket.
Experiential learning goes beyond the classroom..."
Heather Rusaw, 2012, Nutrition and EcoGastronomy
Coming this Spring!
Regional and National Conferences
- The 13th Annual NOFA-NH Winter Conference Saturday, January 31, 2015 Rundlett Middle School in Concord, NH
- NOFA Mass Winter Conference, January 10, 2015 (All day), Worcester State University, Worcester,MA
- Advancing Local and Regional Food Systems, OPPORTUNITIES TO GROW RESILIENT, EQUITABLE COMMUNITIES 2.0, Wednesday, January 28 – 11:00 AM – 5:30 PM, Baltimore, MD
- Good Food Festival and Conference, March 19 – 21, Chicago
- Just Food Conference is excellent – haven’t set a date yet for April 2015 New York City
People and Places to Visit
- Visit a Winter Farmers’ Market
Wentworth Greenhouses, 141 Rollins Rd, Rollinsford, NH
Exeter High School, 315 Epping Road, Exeter, NH
- D Acres of New Hampshire Organic Farm & Educational Homestead Dorchester, NH Practical examples of alternative building, renewable energy, holistic forestry, no-till gardening, hospitality management, community outreach.
- Gardens at Strawbery Banke, 14 Hancock St., Portsmouth See how people lived for four centuries of New England history.
- Portland Food Co-Op, 290 Congress St., Portland, ME Full service grocery store, owned by members and open to the public, and focusing on local and organic products.
- Higher Ground Farm, Boston, MA Boston’s first roof-top farm and the 2nd largest roof farm in the world.
- Stock and Spice, 25 Ceres St., Portsmouth, NH small market dedicated to high quality spices and preserved local farm goods from the Black Trumpet Kitchen
- Interview a parent or grandparent. Ask about their memories of food from childhood and record or write about what they say.
- New Hampshire Farm and Forest Expo, Feb. 6 & 7 2015, Meet the faces of agriculture and forestry in New Hampshire!
- Maple Weekend March 28 & 29, 2015
Over 110 sugar houses statewide are open for the 20th Annual NH Maple Weekend. Join the fun and learn why they are celebrating the sweetest season of the year!!
- Pepin Lecture Series, 808 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 117, Boston University, Metropolitan College Reservations are required; RSVP by calling 617-353-9852.
- Seacoast Eat Local Event, various places in the seacoast area, dining, movies, cooking classes, workshops
Volunteer or Attend a Meeting
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen or food pantry
Please contact the site you plan to volunteer at prior to the day you plan to work for details about the time commitment and location.
The Waysmeet Center, Cornucopia Food Pantry, 15 Mill Rd., Durham, NH
New Horizons for New Hampshire, 199 Manchester Street, Manchester, NH 03103
Nashua Soup Kitchen & Shelter, 42 Chestnut Street, Nashua, NH 03061
- Organic Garden Club Meetings in the MUB Entertainment Centre at 6PM on Mondays and volunteer opportunities
- Slow Food UNH, Meetings in the MUB Entertainment Center at 6PM on Tuesdays and various events and volunteer opportunities
- Slow Food Seacoast Attend an event
Organic Garden Club: tour and volunteer
Slow Food UNH meeting or event
Wednesdays, 6 - 7 PM
Attend a Seacoast Slow Food event.
Maine Adult Education, Italian Search Italian to find out where beginning Italian classes are being taught.