Culinary Program Assistant
The Sylvia Center (TSC) is a non-profit organization that addresses issues in children’s health by providing access to the experience of growing food and using it to create a healthy meal. TSC is transforming the way nutrition is taught. Our food literacy programs help children understand what food is, how it is grown, and, perhaps most importantly, that they themselves can learn and choose to make good food for their own bodies. In our Children’s Garden and outdoor kitchen on Katchkie Farm in Kinderhook, NY, we inspire young people to eat well through thoughtful, delicious experiences with healthful, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Job Title and Summary
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm is seeking a part-time, seasonal Culinary Program Assistant for May - October 2013. In our outdoor kitchen, the Assistant will work with the Culinary Instructor to prepare for and conduct the culinary component of our farm to table educational programs which emphasize food literacy, nutrition, and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal produce. Duties will include regular prepping of foods in advance of programs and special events and helping teach children culinary skills. The Culinary Program Assistant will work closely with the Culinary Instructor and will report to the Education Director.
The Assistant position runs from May 6, 2013 through approximately October 19, 2013. This position requires a flexible schedule as the weekly schedule will vary over the course of the growing and programming seasons, typically ranging from 3-4 days per week at approximately 4-6.5 hours per day. Work days will always include Sundays, and a combination of Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepare foods for and help conduct educational culinary programs that create vegetarian meals from scratch using seasonal farm produce.
- Assist with meal creation for groups of 30-50 participants. This includes cutting vegetables, cooking on a propane cook top or grill, operating a wood-fired oven (training provided), and other culinary tasks.
- Assist the Culinary Instructor with setting up all necessary supplies and equipment to execute these programs in a rustic, outdoor kitchen. Assist with the breaking down, packing up, and of cleaning dishes and equipment following the program.
- Communicate with the Culinary Instructor to review culinary lesson plans prior to the programs.
- Clean up after programs and maintain cleanliness of our prep kitchen and outdoor field kitchen.
- Assist the Sylvia Center team with other program and farm related tasks.
- Passionate about food, cooking, and working on a farm.
- Familiar with basic culinary technique (knife skills, baking, roasting, etc).
- Interest in cooking seasonal, simple and delicious food with freshly harvested organic vegetables.
- Interest in teaching children and adults about the importance of cooking and eating well and a willingness to support all aspects of our farm to table programs.
- Enthusiastic, able to work quickly in a fast paced environment, detail-oriented, responsible, focused, and excited to work with children.
- Able to work independently on projects, anticipate what needs to be done, and take action without being asked.
- Able to take initiative, follow instructions, and learn quickly with a positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Must have an exceptional and cooperative work ethic, excellent communication skills, and the ability to rise to the occasion with a positive attitude when unexpected tasks need to be completed.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs, and perform physical, outdoor jobs in inclement weather.
- Flexible schedule and ability to accommodate an irregular work week.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive a commercial van.
- Adventurous eater with gardening skills is a big plus.
Compensation: Hourly wage of $8/hr along with eggs and some farm produce.
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and two references, one personal and one professional. (Include name, relationship, phone number, and email address) to Julie Cerny, Education Director and Garden Manager, email@example.com.
Education Director and Garden Manager
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm
34 Fischer Rd. Ext.
Kinderhook, NY 12106
Check out our video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jddpHTZZ7Es