Ecological Farming Association (EFA)
Start Date: August 2013 (Exact date negotiable.)
Compensation: $45,000-$48,000 DOE, Full-time 40 hrs/week salaried, exempt
position includes health benefits package, vacation, and paid sick leave.
Location: The job is based at the EFA office, located off Highway 1 in Soquel,
a few miles south of Santa Cruz, CA, close to the freeway and accessible by
bus line and bike lane. Some travel and overnights out of town and attendance
at EFA events required for this position. Job
Description: The Ecological Farming Association (EFA) is seeking an
experienced Communications Coordinator. The ideal candidate will have
leadership experience in ecological agriculture and in directing strategic
communications planning, implementation, and design. This position reports
directly to EFA’s Executive Director. The Communications Coordinator will
coordinate the organization's overall communications strategy and
• Collaborate with the Executive Director, staff, and the Board of
Directors to develop and implement communications strategies that broaden the
influence of EFA’s programs and educational opportunities including messaging,
branding, and communications with partners, industry leaders, affiliated
organizations, and event participants.
• Create content, print materials, and images to promote EFA events, and
other programs, campaigns, and fundraisers, including the agenda and program
for the annual EcoFarm Conference. Maintain quality, impact, and consistency
of all communications.
• Oversee the budget, design, planning, production and distribution of
all promotional materials and communications initiatives.
• Create and edit content for the EFA website, oversee management of
monthly e-newsletters, facilitate web news wires and publish news and
conversation topics to Facebook and Twitter.
• Plan EFA print and electronic fundraising campaigns—writing or
assigning articles, and coordinating design, printing and mail-house
• Manage media and public relations by creating press releases and
editorial content. Cultivate relationships with bloggers, reporters,
broadcasters, columnists, and editorial staff, and create and maintain
excellent systems for tracking and reporting media placement and contacts.
• Solicit and place advertising from sponsors and others in applicable
EFA publications and other media.
• Maintain strong relationships with communications staff of affiliated
organizations and coordinate regular updates to key partners and
• Support the Executive Director and staff in grant proposals, EFA
sponsorship program, and program development as needed.
• Support the Program Coordinator in EcoFarm Conference as needed.
• Collaborate to create and service an EcoFarm Membership program.
• Manage and coordinate office IT needs including web accounts, computer
maintenance, server oversight, general troubleshooting, and IT budgets and
• Excellent written, verbal and visual presentation skills; including
the ability to manage and present information effectively in a variety of
• 3-5 years of leadership experience in directing strategic
communications planning and implementation.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite/InDesign,
database software, and CMS web software such as Drupal, WordPress, etc. HTML/
CSS experience preferred.
• Experienced in online media platforms including Facebook, Twitter,
YouTube, blogs, and other web applications.
• Initiative, superior interpersonal communication skills, creativity,
high personal standards for the quality and timeliness of work-products, a
pro-active problem-solver, and collaborative team player.
• Professional and effective under the pressure of production details
• Commitment to ecological agriculture and safe and just food systems.
Opportunities for Training and Promotion: There are substantial opportunities
for professional development and promotion as performance contributes to the
success of EFA. Physical Requirements: This is primarily an office-based job
with extensive word processing and graphic design/layout duties, but during
events it requires additional physical abilities. Applicants must be able to
sit and stand for extended periods of time, must possess a valid California
drivers’ license, must be able to walk up and down stairs and on un-even
ground such as through an orchard or a plowed field, and must be able to lift
and carry up to twenty pounds for short distances. EOE: The Ecological
Farming Association is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment
decisions on the basis of merit. Our policy prohibits unlawful discrimination
based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national
origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual
orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or
To apply: Please submit the following to email@example.com with the subject
line: “Communications Coordinator Application.”
1. A résumé and cover letter that demonstrates your accomplishments as
they relate to the job description stated above.
2. Three professional references with contact information
3. Two different types of samples from your communications portfolio:
e.g. a website, newsletter, brochure, agenda, presentation, outreach
materials, fund raising campaign, report with graphic/visual elements,
strategic communications plan, or other relevant sample. Please select items
for which you were directly responsible or were the lead production person.
Process: No calls please. We will contact applicants selected for interviews.
We will be selecting applications on a rolling basis until the position is
The Ecological Farming Association nurtures healthy and just farms, food
systems, communities and environment by bringing people together for
education, alliance building and advocacy. To learn more about the mission
and programs of the Ecological Farming Association visit our website at