Fair Trade USA is a non-profit, mission-driven organization that tackles social and environmental sustainability with an innovative, entrepreneurial approach. We empower farmers and workers to fight poverty, improve the lives of their communities, and protect the environment. We are the leading independent, third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States.
As a member of the Business Development Produce & Floral team at Fair Trade USA, you will have one of the most meaningful, rewarding, and impactful jobs in the world of social enterprise!
We’re looking to expand our team to include someone who:
- Loves the idea of bridging business strategy with sustainable
development focused on people and the planet
- Enjoys operating in an innovative, fast-paced and rapidly-changing
- Understands how business works and how business-decisions are made, so
we can figure out how a company can best fit Fair Trade into their business model
- Is quick-on-their-feet in developing mutually beneficial solutions
- Likes to deliver results
If that describes you, we’d love to meet!
Overview of position:
As the Business Development Specialist, Produce & Floral, your role is to help increase our positive impact on farming communities and the environment by supporting and further developing our sales, marketing and communications capabilities for Fair Trade Certified produce & floral importers, distributors, and retailers.
The Specialist will play a key role in growing sales of both Fair Trade fresh produce & floral products by developing relationships with fresh produce distributors and natural, organic food chains. Also, the Specialist will work with these partners to help them best share the impact they're having through Fair Trade with their customers (whether online, in advertisements, or at events).
It is a lot of work, but a lot of fun. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, passionate for the mission, highly motivated, organized, a great communicator, quick learner, and self-starter. Most importantly, you work well with others, especially cross functions, & can be a leader – taking initiative and willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to make us successful!
The Specialist’s time is expected to be split evenly between sales & marketing/communications. A lot of this will be done by e-mail or over the phone, but domestic travel will likely be necessary about 25% of the time.
Specific duties include:
- Develop & manage relationships with fresh produce distributors and
natural, organic food chains to grow sales of Fair Trade Certified produce & floral, which may include cold calling and making formal presentations
- Handle licensing process for produce & floral importers
- Maintain and develop new marketing and communications tools for
produce & floral including quarterly newsletters and producer highlights
- Plan, coordinate, and execute communication calendar and outbound
- Manage creation and delivery of partner Impact Reports
- Promote the success of current Fair Trade offerings by connecting to
Fair Trade marketing efforts (e.g. social media, press inquiries)
- Provide key partners with marketing support appropriate for the size
of the opportunity either independently or working with our in-house Marketing & Design team
- Provide operational support to help coordinate event/tradeshow/
- Maintain accuracy of partner & grower information in our database
- Be outcome-oriented and know how to get things done
- Exceptional customer service background, supported by outstanding oral
and written communication skills
- Great attention to detail is a MUST
- Knowledge of the produce & floral industry preferred
- Ability to think quickly: learn, adapt, and work autonomously, as
well with teams
- Must be able to prioritize work effectively, problem solve and handle
detail-oriented projects in a systematic and highly organized manner
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of sales or account management experience highly preferred
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel and
- Prior experience working with a CRM system, such as Salesforce is
- Some travel (~25%) is required
- Proficiency in Spanish required
How to apply:
Please submit both a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, and salary requirements to the attention of Alexandria Coari.