This internship is a great opportunity for an undergraduate looking to start a career in community change management, community organization, sustainability, or urban planning. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Community/Senior Hunger Intern will be responsible for creating a strategic plan for seniors and community members to develop healthier choices with fresh fruits and vegetables and provide healthier food options in food pantry, served meal program, and work to expand LSH’s Intergenerational Gardening Project, senior center food cupboard, and urban agriculture initiative.
Nature and Scope:
- Work closely with development manager to identify partners in the fight against hunger.
- Track outcomes of hunger-related projects.
- Research healthy food options for seniors in the Philadelphia area including purchased and donated food, the food pantry and the daily served meal program.
- Identify grants and other fundraising opportunities for fresh fruit and vegetable programs.
- Assist staff and seniors in coordinating the Intergenerational Gardening Project.
- Develop healthy vending priorities and research healthy vending options.
Work closely with Lutheran Settlement House staff and LSH’s Community Hunger Advisory Committee (comprised of members of The Food Trust, the Greater Philadelphia Coalition against Hunger, and the Federation of Neighborhood Centers) to develop a strategic plan around food, implement healthy food projects and develop a marketing program to increase visibility of food programs in the community.
- Interest in fighting hunger, urban agriculture, community gardening are required.
- Familiarity with Microsoft office applications, including Excel and Word.
- Familiarity with online research methods.
- Interest in food justice and nutrition.
- Excellent communication skills, especially over a phone and through email.
- Position is open until filled.
- Knowledge of urban agriculture and food justice preferred.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com for immediate consideration.