Allen Neighborhood Center is seeking an energetic, creative leader to manage the Allen Street Farmers Market and our new Commercial Kitchen (opening this summer.) This year-round and full time position begins in early May.
Market management will involve oversight of all operations of our lively Farmers Market, which operates on Wednesday afternoons. An outdoor seasonal market since 2004, the Market will move indoors to the newly opened Allen Market Place this November, to become a year-round, weekly Market. Responsibilities will include farmer/vendor selection and support, marketing, logistics, volunteer recruitment and training—all that makes our Market appealing and fun.
As Kitchen Manager in the Allen Market Place, our candidate will oversee the rental of the kitchen by food entrepreneurs, and the launch of educational, engaging programming focusing on food preparation, food preservation, and culinary job skills training.
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks/projects at a time
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop, implement, nurture and evaluate programs
- Strong organizational skills with good attention to detail
- Experience in managing and creating relationships with multiple partners, patrons, neighbors, as well as rotating AmeriCorps and interns.
- High level of initiative.
- Experience in special events coordination
- Passion for Food and Community
- Commitment to Lansing’s Eastside, its residents, stakeholders and strategic partners throughout the mid-Michigan region.
Strong candidates will have education or training related to the position; and passion about food and community. Please submit your resume and cover to email@example.com, or drop it off at the Center, located at 1619 E. Kalamazoo St. in Lansing, by April 19. Call Joan Nelson at 517-999-3912 with questions.
About Allen Neighborhood Center
Established in 1999, Allen Neighborhood Center is a dynamic hub for capacity building and for activities that promote the health, safety, stability and economic well-being of Lansing Eastside residents and other stakeholders. The Eastside of Lansing is home to a diverse mix of people from a variety of socio-economic, cultural, racial and ethnic backgrounds. This rich blend of ideas, lifestyles, and traditions is reflected in a long history of people committed to preserving and improving their neighborhood and celebrating its uniqueness. While our ‘place-based’ mission focuses on the Eastside, we work in close collaboration with regional institutions and organizations that share our broad agenda.
About Allen Market Place
A project of Allen Neighborhood Center, the Allen Market Place is located in 5000 square feet of space immediately behind the Center. Scheduled for opening soon, it will house the commercial kitchen, food storage, the Allen Street Farmers Market from November – May, and the Exchange (a program connecting mid-Michigan farmers to commercial and institutional produce buyers).