Smiling girls in servery

Frequently Asked Questions

1.) If students have unlimited access to the dining halls, why have Dining Dollars?

Dining Dollars offer flexibility and convenience. Dining Dollars are accepted at our retail establishments (Albert's, CornerStone 1926, Philbrook Cafe, UNH Dairy Bar, Union Court, Wildcatessen, Zeke's Cafe and all on-campus vending machines) which are open throughout the date and late at night. Products which can be purchased include convenience items, school supplies, grab-and-go sandwiches, salads, pizza and coffee.

2.) What is the difference between Dining Dollars and Cat's Cache?

Dining Dollars are valid at all dining halls and in our retail establishments and vending machines.

Cat's Cache is valid at all dining locations plus at other on-campus and off-campus retail locations.
Cat's Cache is needed to do laundry in the dorms (machines accept Cat's Cache only)

Dining Dollar carry from Fall to Spring Semester; a remaining balance is nonrefundable and expires at the end of meal service in May.

Cat's Cache carries over semester to semester and year to year and is fully refundable.

3.) Do Faculty and Staff Meal Plans expire?

No, Faculty and Staff Meal Plans carry over semester to semester AND year to year and are fully refundable at any time.

4.) Can I add more Dining Dollars to my account?

Yes, with cash or check in the Dining ID Office in Holloway Commons anytime (open M-F, 8am-4:30pm) or billed to the student's university account (through the 2nd week of the second semester) via our web site at
Dining Dollar deposits may also to made at any of the Dining Deposit Centers on campus (Wildcatessen, Union Court, Holloway Commons, Philbrook Dining Hall, Dimond Libray, Kendall Library, McConnell Hall and SERC C.

5.) Can I cash in some meals on my meal plan for Dining Dollars?


6.) Can other people use my ID card?

Your UNH photo ID, including everything programmed onto your card, is not transferable. Guests may be brought into the dining hall by using a guest pass, an additional swipe of your ID card, Dining Dollars, Cat's Cache or cash. The card owner must be present.

7.) What if I have a food allergy or other nutrition concern?

Students with specific nutrition concerns or medically-restricted diets should meet with the registered dietitian, Rochelle L'Italien to review options for dining hall accomodations. While UNH Dining makes every effort to alert customers of items containing nuts on signage as well as in recipe ingredient listings on our website, it is the responsibility of customers with food allergies or other nutrition concerns to make the final judgement on whether or not to question the selected food. For questions about ingredients, please as a dining staff member at any time.

8.) I am a parent trying to deposit money onto my child's Cat's Cache account online. How do I do this?

You can do so at If your student has shared his/her Blackboard username and password with you - log in with it and click on the Cat's Cache link at the top of the page. Then click on the Card Deposit link. If you do not know your student’s information you can still deposit money by using the Cat’s Cache Guest deposit in the left hand lower corner of the Blackboard home page.  Enter your student’s first name (hint – the first letter of the name needs to be capitalized), last name (again capitalizing the first letter) and username (all lower case).  (hint – the username is the letters and numbers before the @ sign in their UNH email address).

9.) What are Guest Passes?

Guest Passes are included with all the UNH Dining Meal Plans. They may be used to bring a guest into any dining hall. Additional Guest Passes are available for purchase at the Dining/ID Office.

10.) What are Meals to Go/Exchanges?

The Meal to Go option may be used for a takeout meal from any dining hall. The Meal Exchange option may be used in the Union Court ($8 credit per meal) as an alternative to eating in the dining hall during peak lunch hours.

11.) What happens to my Faculty/Staff meal plan if I leave the University?

You would need to stop by the Dining ID Office at least a week before you leave to determine what you like to do with the remainder of your meals. You may request to have them transferred on to a non-photo ID card or a refund for the balance.

12.) How do I get a refund for my Faculty/Staff meal plan?

Come to the Dining & ID Office to request your refund.

13.) Does my Faculty/Staff meal plan expire at the end of the semester?

No, your meal plan is valid until you use it or request a refund.