The commission’s membership has always been comprised of individuals committed to change—changing the racial and ethnic composition of the university community; changing the climate of the university community so that all individuals are welcome, comfortable and successful; changing the interplay between the university and the larger community. These commitments represent large and complicated goals which historically have been a core challenge to the commission’s efforts to be effective and viable as an organization. Our hope is that the efforts and organization outlined below will provide the necessary focus for the commission to be productive and visible on campus relative to the role and experience of people of color at UNH.
Goals in Progress
CAMPUS CLIMATE COMMITTEE
• Complete data analysis of campus climate surveys and prepare a summary document to help guide discussions and actions.
• Continue By-Stander Awareness Program by coordinating with appropriate campus organizations.
• Develop microaggression workshops in conjunction with other commissions and other campus entities who are working in this area.
• Continue to connect with the Bias Response Protocol group and ReportIt.
SUSTAINED DIALOGUE COMMITTEE
• Continue to work to implement sustained dialogues at UNH.
INSTRUCTION, CURRICULUM, & COMMUNITY BUILDING (ICCB) FOR DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, AND EQUITY COMMITTEE
• The major focus of the ICCB is the development and implementation of the dialogue/community conversation portion of the MLK Celebration Series. This is the signature event of this Commission and a subcommittee will focus on this task.
• The ICCB will also undertake joint efforts to develop curriculum and professional development to support the commission goals of diversity, inclusion, and equity.
RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION GROUP
• The Recruitment & Retention shall continue with the original charge. No new charge is added to this committee. In addition to these charges, the commission responded to issues that arose during the year. We will briefly outline the issues chronologically that the commission addressed.
Goal: continue to work with Department of Athletics to insure that under-represented students have positive experiences while at UNH and that Athletics is committed to the steps outlined in their NCAA 10-year recertification plan.
VISIBILITY AND PUBLICITY GROUP
Goal: Making the commission more visible using various social and print media formats to enhance communications with constituents.