Class Years

Class years are normally the year an alumnus/na graduated, but in some cases are the year the alum would have graduated. (Examples are alumni who left UNH for service in WWII and returned to graduate after the war. These alums may prefer a class year of, for example, '42 instead of '47.)


For bachelor's and associate's degrees, the class year for 1975, for example, is '75.


Master's and Ph.D. degrees carry a G after the class year for each degree. For example, B.A. 1975, M.A. 1976, Ph.D. 1978 is '75, '76G, '78G


If an alum earned both a bachelor's and associate's degree, only the bachelor's class year is used.


Students who attend UNH for one semester or more but do not finish their degree are considered alumni (although not graduates) and the class year used is the year they would have graduated.


In the unfortunate event that a student dies before graduating, the class year used is the year they would have graduated.


Children of alumni may be noted with a K after the parent’s class year.


Honorary degrees carry an H after the year awarded.


Parents may be noted with a P after the class year of their child. If more than one child graduated, each child can be noted with a separate class year: i.e., John Smith '95P, '98P


Make the apostrophe before the class year face outwards by the combined keystroke of opt-shift-right bracket (Mac) Alt-Shift- Right Bracket (PC). For the web, the HTML is ’


Do not add a comma after the alum's name or parentheses around the class year. Example:

Mary Arnold Smith '75, '76G, '78G is the nursing supervisor at Lakeview Hospital.