Business Applications Option
The Department of Communication in the College of Liberal Arts in collaboration with the Department of Marketing and the Department of Management in the Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics (Paul College) offers a Business Applications Option for Communication students. The objective of the Business Applications Option is to offer a select group of Communication students the opportunity to augment the liberal arts focus of their major with professional training in such areas as marketing, advertising, and organizational behavior. Qualified students who meet all requirements will graduate* with a BA degree in Communication: Business Applications, an achievement which will be recorded on their official transcripts.
Minimum Requirements for Option Eligibility
1. Declared communication major.
2. Completion of CMN 455, CMN 456, and CMN 457 with a C or better.
3. Completion of at least one CMN 500-level course with a C- or better.
4. Maintain minimum in-major GPA of 2.5.
5. Maintain minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
Option Course Requirements
1. Completion of CMN 455, CMN 456, CMN 457 (12 credits) with a C or better.
2. Completion of all Communication major 500-level intermediate course requirements.
3. Completion of three Business Applications Option courses (12 credits) with a C- or better as designated below.
A. One required course:
ADMN 400: Introduction to Business
B. At least two elective courses from the following list:
MKTG 550: Survey of Marketing
MGT 580: Introduction to Organizational Behavior
MGT 598: Topics/Leadership
MKTG 598: Topics/Promotion and Advertising
MKTG 598: Topics/Retail and Retail Management
4. Completion of a Business Applications Internship: CMN 599 (4 credits completed in one semester). Students undergo a business applications internship experience. (Prerequisites: CMN 455, CMN 456, CMN 457)
5. Completion of all Communication major 600-level and/or 700-level advanced course requirements. All 600- and 700-level Communication courses are writing intensive courses.
Student enrollment in the Business Applications Option will be contingent upon space availability. Overall, total enrollment should not exceed twenty students in any given academic year.
* Students admitted to the option must earn a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average at graduation or they will, by default, graduate with a BA in Communication without the special option designation on their diplomas.
See Bonnie Hodgdon in the main office on how to apply.