The Media Practices Option in Communication
The Department of Communication in collaboration with the Communication Arts Department at the UNH Manchester campus is please to announce a new Media Practices Option. This option is designed for qualified students who want to augment their Communication major at Durham with training in media production and applied media communication through courses in the Communication Arts Department at the Manchester Campus.* Qualified students who meet all requirements will graduate with a BA degree in Communication with a Media Practices Option, an achievement which will be recorded on their official transcripts.
Minimum Requirements for Option Eligibility
- Declared Communication Major.
- Completion of CMN 455, CMN 456, and CMN 457 with a C or better.
- Maintain minimum in-major GPA of 2.5.
- Maintain minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
Option Course Requirements
- Completion of CMN 455, CMN 456, CMN 457 (12 credits) with a C or better.
- Completion of all Communication major 500-level intermediate course requirements.
- Completion of all Communication major 600-level and/or 700-level advanced course requirements.
- Completion of CMN 599: Internship based on work experience at a site directly relevant to applied media practices or production for a minimum of 4 academic credits completed in one semester. Junior standing is required.**
- Completion of Two Media Practices courses (8 credits) in the Department of Communication Arts at Manchester campus with a C- or better from among the following:***
CA 500: Media Writing
CA 502: Image and Sound
CA 512: Scriptwriting
CA 513: Radio News Production
CA 514: Fundamentals of Video Production
CA 515: Advanced Video Production (permission required)
CA 517: Fundamentals of Audio Production
CA 520: Special Topics in Applied Communication
CA 525: Media Programming
CA 528: Media Policy and Law
* Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements between Durham and Manchester campuses.
** Visit our Internships webpage for procedures on how to arrange internships.
***Students may arrange to take Media Practices (CA) courses at any time during the course of their academic programs after they have satisfactorily completed the three 400-level introductory courses. Thus, students may take the 500-level CA courses before, concurrently with, or after completion of CMN 500-level courses and/or CMN 600-level courses.