Policies for UNH-/COLA-Managed Programs
To study abroad, you must meet the following academic criteria of the UNH Study Away Eligibility policy at the time of application and throughout the study abroad program:
Be in good standing with the Student Conduct System.
A student who is on probation, regardless of the underlying violation, must successfully petition through the Academic Standards and Advising Committee (ASAC) for permission to participate. Petitions are available in the student's College Dean's Office.
Have earned at least 32 credit hours, at least 12 of which must have been earned at the University of New Hampshire at the baccalaureate level.
Have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative grade point average. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
Have a declared major. Transfer students, including transfer students from the Thompson School of Applied Science (TSAS) are not eligible to study abroad during the first semester of their baccalaureate program at UNH.
Students enrolled in the degree programs of the Thompson School of Applied Science may participate in approved study abroad programs appropriate for two-year degree candidates. Please click here to access a TSAS Study Abroad Information Sheet. TSAS students must meet the following eligibility criteria at the time of application and prior to departure:
- Must have earned 32 credits, at least 12 of which must have been earned at the University of New Hampshire at the associate degree level.
- Must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average. Study abroad programs provided by UNH or other approved institutions may have higher minimum GPA requirements.
- Only a course with a grade of C (or its equivalent) or better will be accepted by UNH for transfer from the institution abroad
- Credit will not be awarded for courses that review or repeat those taken at UNH or another institutions per the University's Repeated Course Rule.
- The grade received in transferred course work will appear on your official transcript, but will not affect your UNH grade point average.
- Credit will not be awarded for language study which is part of a study abroad orientation.
- A course taken for 3 credits at another institution will be worth 3 credits in transfer to UNH. Courses measured in quarter hours, term hours,
or course units will be converted to semester hours to determine the UNH credit award.
- The course conversion process may affect whether a course will meet UNH standards for General Education, Discovery, or other
University requirements. A course must be valued at a minimum of 3 semester hours to satisfy General Education/Discovery
requirements. Only the Registrar's Office can approve fulfilling General Education/Discovery requirements.
- In order to fulfill other University requirements (such as Major, Minor, Foreign Language), students must meet with an Academic
Advisor in the Department for approval.
- Students must ensure they will achieve the total number of credits required in order to graduate.
- Any UNH student who is ineligible for participation in a UNH-managed study away program and who enrolls in a non-UNH study away program
may not transfer credits earned in that program to his or her UNH degree.
Students are prohibited from participation on a study away program while withdrawn for health reasons or during their first semester following a health withdrawal. Exceptions to this policy will be granted only for unusual circumstances by the Academic Standards and Advising Committee, upon consultation with the Center for International Education, Health Services, and the Associate Dean of the student’s college. For more information contact the Associate Dean of the student’s college or the Center for International Education.