Dr. James Malley
Davison Professor of Environmental Engineering
Direcor, The Environmental Research Group (ERG)
University of New Hampshire
Gregg Hall Room 344
35 Colovos Rd
Durham, NH 03824
Research Group: Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering (Environmental), chemistry minor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA. September 1988.
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA. September 1984.
- B.S. Civil Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA. May 1988. Second B.S. degree obtained upon completion of undergraduate course work taken concurrently with graduate work between 1982 and 1988.
- B.S. Environmental Science, Environmental Chemistry Option, Magna Cum Laude, Cook College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J. May 1980.
Research interests focus on physical-chemical and biological treatment processes for water, hazardous wastes and industrial and municipal wastewaters. On-going research includes dissolved air flotation, membrane filtration, disinfection (chlorine, chlorine dioxide, ultraviolet (UV)) and advanced oxidation processes (ozone, uv-peroxide, peroxone) for drinking water and hazardous wastes. Research strives to integrate fundamental physical chemical and biological principles into practical equations/models for the selection, design and operation of engineered treatment systems.
Honors and Awards
- 2011 American Water Works Association, Water Quality Technology Division’s Golden Spigot Award for Professional Service.
- 2009 New England Waterworks Association Distinguished Service Award
- 2007 President’s Lifetime Achievement Award “For Outstanding Lifetime Contributions to the UV Technology Field” International UV Association
- 2005 Crystal Award Recipient for the Outstanding National Research Project, “Synergistic Disinfection Ozone-UV” American Academy of Environmental Engineers, Washington, D.C.
- 2005 American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) - Massachusetts Grand Conceptor Award Winner, “Innovative Disinfection at Pilot and Full-Scale - Clinton and Concord, MA” ACEC, Boston, MA
Martijn, B.J., Kruithof, J.C. and Malley, J.P., Jr. “State of the Art in Drinking Water Disinfection ByProducts Research,” Journal of Ozone Science and Engineering, June 15, 2010
Martijn, B.J., FULLER, A.L., Malley, J.P., Jr., and Kruithof, J.C. “Impact of IX-UF Pretreatment on the Feasibility of UV/H2O2 Treatment for Degradation of NDMA and 1,4 Dioxane,” submitted to Journal of Ozone Science and Engineering, May 10, 2010
Malley, J.P., Jr. “UV in Water Treatment – Issues from the Next Decade,” IUVA News Vol. 12 No. 1 March 2010.
Borchers, H., Fuller, Ashlee, Malley, J.P., Jr. “Assessing the Risk of Mercury from On-line UV Lamp Breaks,” IUVA News Vol. 10 No. 1 April 2008.
Linden, K., Thurston, J., Shaeffer, R., and Malley, J.P., Jr. “Enhanced UV Inactivation of Adenovirus under Polychromatic UV Lamps,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology Vol. 73, No. 23, December 2007.
Yates, M., Malley, J.P., Jr., Rochelle, P. and Hoffman, R. “Impact of Adenovirus Resistance on UV Disinfection Requirements”, Journal American Water Works Assoc. June 2006.
Current Classes Taught:
- Solid and Hazardous Waste Engineering
- Bioenvironmental Engineering Design for Sustainable Water Reuse
- Life Cycle Assessment for Sustainable Environmental Engineering Design
- Solid and Hazardous Waste Engineering Design
American Water Works Association (AWWA) – Vice-Chairman of the Technical and Education Council, Chairman of the Conference Planning Committee, Disinfection Committee Member, Journal Article Reviewer, Research Committee Member; TAW member
Water Research Foundation (WateRF) formerly AwwaRF– Project Advisory Committee member on 12 projects; Technical Projects Review Committee Member for 2 years; Participant and Advisor to Research Needs Committee and 5-year Planning Committee.
International UV Association (IUVA) – founding president; board of directors member, editorial board chairperson.
National Science Foundation (NSF) – proposal reviewer for environmental engineering
- About Us
- Sort by Reseach
- Thomas Ballestero
- Erin Bell
- Jean Benoit
- M. Robin Collins
- Raymond Cook
- Jo Sias Daniel
- Eshan Dave
- Tat Fu
- Kevin Gardner
- Majid Ghayoomi
- Charles Goodspeed
- David Gress
- Robert Henry
- Jennifer Jacobs
- Nancy Kinner
- Paul Kirshen
- Anne Lightbody
- James Malley
- Ricardo Medina
- Jeffrey Melton
- Weiwei Mo
- Alison Watts
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Visit Us
- Contact Us