Roy P. Planalp
Education and Achievements
- S.B., 1979, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ph.D., 1983, University of California at Berkeley
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow, 1984-1985, Universität Freiburg, Germany
- Research Associate, 1985-1987, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Visiting Scientist, 1994-1995, Inorganic and Radioimmune Chemistry Section, Radiation Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland
Synthesis, structure and reactivity of metal coordination complexes; use of novel metal chelators and complexes in the study of cellular metal metabolism and the treatment of disease.
Associate Professor: Roy P. Planalp
Matt Childers and Dan Kennedy
Allison Lindell, M.S., 2007
Ann Przyborowski, M.S., Inorganic Chemistry, 2004
Paula Sloan, MST, 2004
Gyungse Park, Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry, 2000
1. "Synthesis, structure, and alcoholysis of h5-1,3- bis(trimethylsilyl)cyclopentadienyltitanium cis-1,3,5-cyclohexanetrialkoxide, an adamantane-framework complex of a polydentate alkoxide ligand," D. M. Choquette, W. E. Buschmann, M. M. Olmstead and R. P. Planalp, Inorg. Chem. 1993,32, 1062-1063.
2. "An improved synthesis of cis,cis-1,3,5-triaminocyclohexane. Synthesis of novel hexadentate ligand derivatives for the preparation of gallium radiopharmaceuticals," T. Bowen, R. P. Planalp and M. W. Brechbiel, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 1996, 6, 807-810.
3. "Preparation of the novel chelating agent N-(2-aminoethyl)-trans-1,2- diaminocyclohexane-N,N',N''-pentaacetic acid (H5CyDTPA), a preorganized analogue of diethylenetriaminepentaacetic (H5DTPA), and the structures of Bi(III)(CyDTPA)2- and Bi(III)(H2DTPA) Complexes," M. W. Brechbiel, O. A. Gansow, C. G. Pippin, R. D. Rogers and R. P. Planalp, Inorg. Chem. 1996, 35, 6343-6348.
4. "Tricationic metal complexes ([ML][NO3]3, M = Ga, In) of N, N', N''-tris(2- pyridylmethyl)-cis-1,3,5-triaminocyclohexane: preparation and structure," K. A. Hilfiker, R. D. Rogers, M. W. Brechbiel and R. P. Planalp, Inorg. Chem. 1997, 36, 4600-4603.
5. "Novel iron complexes and chelators based on cis,cis-1,3,5-triaminocyclohexane: Iron-mediated ligand oxidation and biochemical properties," G. Park, F. Lu, N. Ye, M. Brechbiel, S. Torti, F. Torti and R. Planalp, JBIC, J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 1998, 3, 449-457.
6. "Syntheses, solubilities and oxygen absorption properties of new cobalt(II) Schiff- base complexes," S. Park, V. Mathur and R. Planalp, Polyhedron 1998, 17, 325-330.
7. "Tumor cell cytotoxicity of a novel metal chelator," S. V. Torti, F. M. Torti, S. P. Whitman, M. W. Brechbiel, G. Park and R. P. Planalp, Blood 1998, 92, 1384-1389.
8. "Synthesis and X-ray crystal structure of N,N',N''-tris(2-thienylmethyl)-cis-1,3,5- triaminocyclohexane copper(II) dichloride," N. Ye, R. D. Rogers, M. W. Brechbiel and R. P. Planalp, Polyhedron 1998, 17, 603-606.
9. "Iron chelation in cancer therapy," S.V. Torti, R. P. Planalp, M. W. Brechbiel, G. Park and F. M. Torti, In Molecular Biology of Hematopoiesis; Abraham, N. G. Ed.; Kluwer/Plenum Press: New York, 1999; pp 381-389.
10. "Preparation and antitumor activity of cytotoxic N,N',N''-tris(pyridinylmethyl)cyclohexanetriamine iron(II) metal chelators," S. V. Torti, F. M. Torti, R. P. Planalp and M. W. Brechbiel (Wake Forest University, USA; University of New Hampshire; United States of America, Department of Health and Human Services). PCT Int. Appl. WO 99 47502, 23 Sep 1999; 73 pp.
11. "Effect of metal size on coordination geometry of N, N', N''-tris(2-pyridylmethyl)-cis,cis-1,3,5-triaminocyclohexane: synthesis and structures of [MIIL](ClO4)2, M = Zn, Cd, and Hg," G. Park, N. Ye, R. Rogers, M. Brechbiel and R. Planalp, Polyhedron 2000, 19, 1155-1161.
12. "p53-independent apoptosis mediated by tachpyridine, an anti-cancer iron chelator," R. D. Abeysinghe, B. T. Greene, R. Haynes, M. C. Willingham, J. Turner, R. P. Planalp, M. W. Brechbiel, F. M. Torti and S. V. Torti, Carcinogenesis 2001, 22, 1607-1614.
13. "Transition metal complexes of N,N',N''-trialkyl-cis,cis-1,3,5-triaminocyclohexane and related compositions and methods of synthesis and use," M. Brechbiel, R. P. Planalp and K. Deal (United States Dept. of Health and Human Services, USA). PCT Int. Appl. WO 01 10870, 15 Feb 2001; 32 pp.
14. "Copper(II) Complexes of Novel N-Alkylated Derivatives of cis,cis-1,3,5-Triaminocyclohexane. 2. Metal-Promoted Phosphate Diester Hydrolysis," K. A. Deal, G. Park, J. Shao, N. D. Chasteen, M. W. Brechbiel and R. P. Planalp, Inorg. Chem. 2001, 40, 4176-4182.
15. "Analytical and pharmacokinetic studies with tachpyr, a metal chelator with anti-tumor properties," J. Hale, J. Bigelow, L. Mathews, J. McCormack, S. V. Torti, F. M. Torti, M. Brechbiel, R. P. Planalp and S. Philips, J. Chromatogr. B 2001, in revision.
16. "Synthesis of novel 1,3,5-cis,cis-triaminocyclohexane ligand based Cu(II) complexes as potential radiopharmaceuticals and correlation of structure and serum stability," G. Park, E. Dadachova, A. Przyborowska, S.-J. Lai, D. Ma, G. Broker, R. Rogers, R. Planalp and M. Brechbiel, Polyhedron 2001, 20, 3155-3163.
17. "Copper(II) Complexes of Novel N-Alkylated Derivatives of cis,cis-1,3,5-Triaminocyclohexane. 1. Preparation and Structure," G. Park, J. Shao, F. H. Lu, R. D. Rogers, N. D. Chasteen, M. W. Brechbiel and R. P. Planalp, Inorg. Chem. 2001, 40, 4167-4175.
- About Us
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty Research
- Christopher F. Bauer
- Erik Berda
- Christine A. Caputo
- N. Dennis Chasteen (Emeritus)
- Leila F. Deravi
- Arthur Greenberg
- Margaret Greenslade
- Richard P. Johnson
- Gonghu Li
- Howard R. Mayne
- Glen P. Miller
- Samuel Pazicni
- Roy P. Planalp
- W. Rudolf Seitz
- Sterling A. Tomellini
- Gary R. Weisman
- Charles K. Zercher
- Iddles Lecture Series
- LaMattina Lecture Series
- Chemistry & Sustainability Lecture Series
- Inorganic/Organic Seminars - Fall 2015
- Inorganic/Organic Seminars - Spring 2015
- Organic/Inorganic Lunch Talks
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Seminars - Fall 2015
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Seminars - Spring 2015
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Lunch Meetings
- Faculty Research Presentations - Fall 2014
- Faculty Seminar Offerings
- News & Alumni Info
- Additions to the Department
- Advisory Board
- Alumni & Friends Accolades
- Alumni News
- Alumni Info Form
- Current Faculty News
- James D. Morrison Award
- National Historic Landmark
- News Archive
- Parsons Renovation Update
- Retired Faculty Directory
- Retired Faculty News