Chemistry and Chemistry Education
Education and Achievements
- B.A., Chemistry and Music, Washington and Jefferson College (2001)
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Wisconsin (2006)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biophysics and Chemistry Education, University of Michigan (2006-2009)
- Samuel Jones Prize in Chemistry and Physics, W & J College (2001)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society, W & J College (2001)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of Wisconsin (2003)
- Teaching Fellow, University of Wisconsin (2005)
- Chair, Gordon Graduate Research Seminar on Bioinorganic Chemistry (2008)
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship, declined (2008)
Developing instructional methodologies to facilitate peer instruction in the classroom; designing assessment methods to evaluate learning progressions in undergraduate chemistry; enhancing graduate student professional development through teaching.
Chemistry and biochemistry of heme proteins and heme transport/sensing; exploring the structure-function relationships of heme-thiolate proteins and enzymes; application of synchrotron radiation techniques to questions in metallobiochemistry and metallophysiology.
Vázquez, Anne V.; McLoughlin, Kaitlin; Sabbagh, Melanie; Runkle, Adam C.; Simon, Jeffrey; Coppola, Brian P.; and Pazicni, Samuel. Writing-to-teach: A new pedagogical approach to elicit explanative writing from undergraduate chemistry students. Journal of Chemical Education, 2012, 89, 1025-1031.
Bhave, Devayani P.; Han, Wen-Ge; Pazicni, Samuel; Penner-Hahn, James E.; Carroll, Kate S.; and Noodleman, Louis. "Geometric and electrostatic study of the [4Fe-4S] cluster of Adenosine-5'-phosphate reductase from broken symmetry density functional calculations and extended X-ray absorption fine structure spectroscopy," Inorganic Chemistry, 2011, 50, 6610-6625.
Koutmou, Kristin S.; Casiano-Negroni, Anette; Getz, Melissa M.; Pazicni, Samuel; Andrews, Andrew J.; Penner-Hahn, James E.; Al-Hashimi, Hashim M.; and Fierke, Carol A. "NMR and XAS reveal an inner-sphere metal binding site in the P4 helix of the metallo-ribozyme ribonuclease P," Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences, U.S.A, 2010, 107, 2479-2484.
Chen, Haimei; Pazicni, Samuel; Krett, Nancy, L.; Ahn, Richard W.; Penner-Hahn, James E.; Rosen, Steven T.; and O'Halloran, Thomas V. "Coencapsulation of arsenic- and platinum-based drugs for targeted cancer treatment," Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2009, 48, 9295-9299.
Naranuntarat, Amornrat; Jensen, Laran T.; Pazicni, Samuel; Penner-Hahn, James E.; and Culotta, Valeria C. "The Interaction of Mitochondrial Iron with Manganese Superoxide Dismutase," Journal of Biological Chemistry,2009, 284, 22633-22640.
Cherney, Melisa M.; Pazicni, Samuel; Frank, Nina; Marvin, Katherine A.; Kraus, Jan; Burstyn, Judith N. "Ferrous human cystathionine β-synthase loses activity during enzyme assay due to a ligand switchprocess,"Biochemistry, 2007, 46, 13199-13210.
Pazicni, Samuel; Melisa M. Cherney; Lukat-Rodgers, Gudrun S.; Oliveriusová, Jana; Kraus, Jan; Rodgers, Kenton R.; Burstyn, Judith N. "The heme of cystathionine β-synthase likely undergoes a temperature-induced redox-mediated ligand switch," Biochemistry, 2005, 44, 16785-16795.
Caserio, Majorie; Coppola, Brian P.; Lichter, Robert L.; Bentley, Anne K.; Bowman, Matthew D.; Mangham, Andrew N.; Metz, Kevin M.; Pazicni, Samuel; Phillips, Margaret F.; Seeman, Jeffrey I. "Responses to Changing Needs in U.S. Doctoral Education," Journal of Chemical Education, 2004, 81, 1698-1704.
Pazicni, Samuel; Lukat-Rodgers, Gudrun S.; Oliverusová, Jana; Rees, Katherine A.; Parks, Ryan B.; Clark, Robert W.; Kraus, Jan; Rodgers, Kenton R.; Burstyn, Judith N. "The redox behavior of heme in cystathionine β-synthase is pH dependent," Biochemistry, 2004, 43, 14684-14695.
Updated August 7, 2012
- About Us
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty Research
- Christopher F. Bauer
- Erik Berda
- N. Dennis Chasteen (Emeritus)
- Arthur Greenberg
- Margaret Greenslade
- Richard P. Johnson
- Gonghu Li
- Howard R. Mayne
- Glen P. Miller
- Samuel Pazicni
- Roy P. Planalp
- W. Rudolf Seitz
- Sterling A. Tomellini
- Gary R. Weisman
- Charles K. Zercher
- Iddles Lecture Series
- LaMattina Lecture Series
- Chemistry & Sustainability Lecture Series
- Organic/Inorganic Seminars - Fall 2013
- Organic/Inorganic Seminars - Spring 2013
- Organic/Inorganic Lunch Talks
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Seminars - Fall 2013
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Seminars - Spring 2013
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Lunch Meetings
- Faculty Research Presentations - Fall 2012
- Faculty Seminar Offerings
- News & Alumni Info
- Additions to the Department
- Advisory Board
- Alumni & Friends Accolades
- Alumni News
- Alumni Info Form
- Current Faculty News
- James D. Morrison Award
- National Historic Landmark
- News Archive
- Parsons Renovation Update
- Retired Faculty Directory
- Retired Faculty News