Chemistry and Chemistry Education
Education and Achievements
- B.A., Chemistry and Music, Washington and Jefferson College (2001)
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Wisconsin (2006)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biophysics and Chemistry Education, University of Michigan (2006-2009)
- Samuel Jones Prize in Chemistry and Physics, W & J College (2001)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society, W & J College (2001)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of Wisconsin (2003)
- Teaching Fellow, University of Wisconsin (2005)
- Chair, Gordon Graduate Research Seminar on Bioinorganic Chemistry (2008)
- American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship, declined (2008)
Developing instructional methodologies to facilitate peer instruction in the classroom; designing assessment methods to evaluate learning progressions in undergraduate chemistry; enhancing graduate student professional development through teaching.
Chemistry and biochemistry of heme proteins and heme transport/sensing; exploring the structure-function relationships of heme-thiolate proteins and enzymes; application of synchrotron radiation techniques to questions in metallobiochemistry and metallophysiology.
Pyburn, Daniel T.; Pazicni, Samuel; Benassi, Victor A.; and Tappin, Elizabeth M. The Testing Effect: An intervention on behalf of low-skilled comprehenders in general chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education 2014, ASAP. doi: 10.1021/ed4009045.
Pyburn, Daniel T. and Pazicni, Samuel. Applying the Multilevel Framework of Discourse Comprehension to evaluate the text characteristics of General Chemistry textbooks. Journal of Chemical Education 2014, 91 (6), 778-783. doi: 10.1021/ed500006u.
Pazicni, Samuel and Bauer, Christopher F. Characterizing illusions of competence in introductory chemistry students. Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2014, 15, 24-34. doi: 10.1039/c3rp00106g.
Pyburn, Daniel T.; Pazicni, Samuel; Benassi, Victor A.; and Tappin, Elizabeth. Assessing the relation between language comprehension and general chemistry performance. Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2013, 14, 524-541. doi: 10.1039/c3rp00014a.
Vázquez, Anne V.; McLoughlin, Kaitlin; Sabbagh, Melanie; Runkle, Adam C.; Simon, Jeffrey; Coppola, Brian P.; and Pazicni, Samuel. Writing-to-teach: A new pedagogical approach to elicit explanative writing in undergraduate chemistry students. Journal of Chemical Education 2012, 89, 1025-1031. doi: 10.1021/ed200410k.
Pazicni, Samuel; Marrongelle, Karen; and Christensen, Warren. Tackling Teaching: Understanding commonalities among chemistry, mathematics, and physics classroom practices. Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education, Portland, OR, Feb 23–25, 2012; Brown, S; Larsen, S.; Marrongelle, K.; Oehrtman, M., Eds.; 517–521.
Bhave, Devayani P.; Han, Wen-Ge; Pazicni, Samuel; Penner-Hahn, James E.; Carroll, Kate S.; and Noodleman, Louis. A geometric and electrostatic study of the [4Fe-4S] cluster of adenosine-5´-phosphosulfate reductase from broken symmetry density functional calculations and extended X-ray absorption fine structure spectroscopy. Inorganic Chemistry 2011, 50, 6610-6625. doi: 10.1021/ic200446c.
Koutmou, Kristin S.; Casiano-Negroni, Anette; Getz, Melissa M.; Pazicni, Samuel; Penner-Hahn, James E.; Al-Hashimi, Hashim M.; and Fierke, Carol A. NMR and XAS reveal an inner-sphere metal binding site in the P4 helix of the metallo-ribozyme ribonuclease P. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, U.S.A. 2010, 107, 2479-2484. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0906319107.
Chen, Haimei; Pazicni, Samuel; Krett, Nancy L.; Ahn, Richard; Penner-Hahn, James E.; Rosen, Steven T.; and O’Halloran, Thomas V. Coencapsulation of arsenic- and platinum-based drugs for targeted cancer treatment. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2009, 48, 9295-9299. doi: 10.1002/anie.200903655.
Naranuntarat, Amornrat; Jensen, Laran T.; Pazicni, Samuel; Penner-Hahn, James E.; and Culotta, Valeria C. The interaction of mitochondrial iron with superoxide dismutase. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2009, 284, 22633-22640. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M109.026773.
- About Us
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty Research
- Christopher F. Bauer
- Erik Berda
- Christine A. Caputo
- N. Dennis Chasteen (Emeritus)
- Leila F. Deravi
- Arthur Greenberg
- Margaret Greenslade
- Richard P. Johnson
- Gonghu Li
- Howard R. Mayne
- Glen P. Miller
- Samuel Pazicni
- Roy P. Planalp
- W. Rudolf Seitz
- Sterling A. Tomellini
- Gary R. Weisman
- Charles K. Zercher
- Iddles Lecture Series
- LaMattina Lecture Series
- Chemistry & Sustainability Lecture Series
- Inorganic/Organic Seminars - Fall 2015
- Inorganic/Organic Seminars - Spring 2015
- Organic/Inorganic Lunch Talks
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Seminars - Fall 2015
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Seminars - Spring 2015
- Analytical/Physical/Chem Ed Lunch Meetings
- Faculty Research Presentations - Fall 2014
- Faculty Seminar Offerings
- News & Alumni Info
- Additions to the Department
- Advisory Board
- Alumni & Friends Accolades
- Alumni News
- Alumni Info Form
- Current Faculty News
- James D. Morrison Award
- National Historic Landmark
- News Archive
- Parsons Renovation Update
- Retired Faculty Directory
- Retired Faculty News