Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2008-2009

General Information

« Health Services

The University has a state-licensed and nationally-accredited ( health and wellness program.

Health and Counseling Fee

All undergraduate and graduate degree candidates and all non-degree candidates taking more than 12 credits are required to pay a mandatory health and counseling fee. For the academic year 2007-2008, the health and counseling fee was $552. This pre-paid fee covers many outpatient care needs that are available at Health Services. However, charges not covered by the health fee are the responsibility of the student. Students should check with the Health Services business office at (603) 862-2840 with any questions.

Health Insurance

UNH requires health insurance as a condition of enrollment for full-time degree students at its Durham and Manchester campuses. Students who already have health insurance are able to waive coverage under the University-sponsored plan if their insurance plan meets or exceeds the established waiver criteria. International students with F-1 and J-1 visas will be required to purchase the UNH Health Benefits Plan. 

Health Record Requirement

In order to provide effective care, Health Services requires that undergraduate students who have been formally accepted for a bachelor’s or associate’s degree candidacy, and who register for five or more credits, must have health information on file with Health Services. This information will include three forms provided by Health Services on its Web site at These include a physical assessment and immunization form, to be completed by a medical provider and mailed to Health Services, and a health history form, to be completed by the student on-line.

Documentation of proof of immunity to MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) is  required (UNH Academic Policy 02.14). Students must meet one of the following criteria for proof of immunity:  received two vaccinations at least one month apart after 12 months of age,  positive titers (blood test),  health provider documentation of past history of the diseases, or  born before 1957. Students requesting a religious exemption from measles vaccinations must complete the UNH Health Services Request for Exemption, form 202.5 and submit appropriate documentation. Students from countries where TB is endemic are required to either provide documentation of being tested within six months prior to enrollment or provide documentation of treatment for either latent or active TB or a negative chest radiograph if the test is positive. It is the responsibility of students to complete the forms before the beginning of classes. Any student failing to complete these requirements may not be cleared to register for future classes.

Medical Services

Health Services provides comprehensive, student-focused, primary medical care, laboratory testing, radiology, and pharmacy services. During the regular academic year, the clinical staff consists of board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, and medical assistants who have experience working with adolescents and young adults and are committed to prevention and holistic care. They work in teams, three of which focus on general medicine services, commonly seeing, for example, infectious diseases, injuries, and mental health concerns. The fourth team focuses on women’s health and provides annual exams, PAP tests, and numerous other services for women. There is also a travel clinic providing clearance and immunizations for foreign travel and an allergy clinic providing allergy shots. One may call to speak by telephone with a triage nurse for advice during regular hours. Limited services are available for faculty and staff.

The staff maintains close relationships with outside specialists in the Seacoast area to whom they may refer patients. Well-staffed and well-equipped community hospitals are nearby and an emergency ambulance service is available in Durham at all times. For after-hours urgent care, Health Services has an agreement with one of the local hospitals to provide care for students.

General medical appointments may be made by calling (603) 862-2856, and women’s health appointments by calling (603) 862-1806. For more information, visit the Health Services Web site at


Medical/Psychological Withdrawals

All students seeking assistance with health-related (physical or mental) withdrawals from the University, or those who will be out for extended periods of time due to health issues, should be in touch with Health Services at 862-1098. Information is also available on the Web at

Office of Health Education and Promotion

The Office of Health Education and Promotion (Room 249, Health Services Center) presents educational workshops and facilitates ongoing educational groups on a variety of physical and emotional health issues. Confidential assessment and referral are also available. The office offers alcohol and other drug counseling, nutrition counseling, stress management/wellness counseling, tobacco cessation services, and confidential HIV counseling and testing. A health educator/nurse provides education and support to students living with chronic illnesses. Massage therapy is also available. The resource library (Room 218) contains information on physical and emotional health issues, including HIV/AIDS, alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs, men’s and women’s health issues, wellness, stress management, sexuality, nutrition, and eating concerns. These services and programs reflect Health Services’s commitment to assisting students in achieving optimal health and well-being. Appointments are made at the Office of Health Education and Promotion, or by calling (603) 862-3823. For more information, visit the Health Services Web site at