Special University Programs

Interdisciplinary Programs

Earth, Oceans, and Space

The Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space (EOS) is devoted to obtaining a scientific understanding of the entire Earth system and its environment in space. Research in EOS ranges from the most distant and energetic phenomena in the universe, to the deepest regions of the ocean. EOS scientists are also exploring processes on the Sun, solar influences on Earth and its magnetosphere, the chemistry and dynamics of the atmosphere, changing climate, and large-scale ecosystems in terrestrial and marine environments—emphasizing the complex impacts on and by humans.

The institute brings together under a common theme several established research groups on campus: the Space Science Center, the Climate Change Research Center, the Complex Systems Research Center, and the Ocean Process Analysis Laboratory. The primary educational theme of the institute is to support and expand graduate degree programs, training future scientists with a global view. However, EOS faculty teach and mentor undergraduate students as well, and there are numerous opportunities for undergraduates to participate with them in the research activities of the institute.

Computer and Information Technology Minor

The computer and information technology (CIT) minor provides students from a variety of nontechnical fields the opportunity to develop an understanding of, and competency in, using computer and information technology. Graduates from many different fields find the need to have (and demonstrate) computer competency, and this minor is intended to fill that need.

The student who minors in CIT must complete a minimum of 20 credits of CIT courses. All students must take CS 402, Survey of Computer Science, as well as a two-course programming sequence. The other two courses can be chosen from the options.

Credit toward the minor will only be given for courses passed with C– or better, and a 2.00 grade-point average must be attained in courses for the minor. Courses taken on the pass/fail basis may not be used for the minor. Students should declare their intent to earn a minor as early as possible and no later than the end of the junior year. During the final term, an application must be made to the student’s dean to have the minor shown on the academic record. Students must consult with their major adviser and also the minor supervisor.

1. CS 402, Survey of Computer Science
2. A two-course programming sequence consisting of either:
a. CS 405, Applications Programming Using Visual Basic I, and CS 506, Applications Programming Using Visual Basic II; or
b. CS 410, Introduction to Scientific Programming or CS 407, Introduction to Computer Programming with Java and CS 508, Introduction to Data Structures with C++.
Options (For students entering the minor after December 2000, at least one of the Options courses must be 500-level.)
CS 401, Computer Applications
CS 403, On-line Network Exploration
CS 504, Web Design and Development
CS 509, Network/System Administration
One additional approved programming course from the above list.


The gerontology interdisciplinary minor provides students with the opportunity to examine and evaluate the aging process as it affects the individual and society. Through in-depth inquiry, personal encounters, and classroom discussion, students develop an understanding of aging from a variety of perspectives. Students are encouraged to analyze the historical and philosophical foundations from which policies, programs, and professional activities affecting the aged are developed, implemented, and evaluated.

Gerontology minors are required to take a minimum of 20 credits (five courses). The courses must include three core gerontology courses plus two electives from a list of courses approved by the Gerontology Interdisciplinary Minor Advisory Committee.

Required Core Courses

GERO 600, Introduction to Gerontology
GERO 795, Independent Study (a practicum arranged by the coordinator of the minor, or by the appropriate designee)
Plus one of the starred courses in this list of approved electives
FS 525, Human Development
HMP 755, Aging and Long-Term Care Policy
*KIN 607, Biology of Aging
NURS 535, Death and Dying
NUTR 760, Geriatric Nutrition
OT 501, Developmental Tasks of Adulthood
*PSYC 582, Adult Development and Aging
PSYC 741, Cognitive Aging
SW 525, Introduction to Social Welfare Policy
SW 550, Human Behavior and Social Environment I
SW 700, Social Gerontology
SW 701, Women and Aging
*SOC 720, Current Developments in the Family: Aging and Late-Life Family

Other courses on special topics may complete the electives if approval is obtained from the advisory committee.

Students who wish to minor in gerontology should consult Elizabeth Stine-Morrow, Department of Psychology, Conant Hall, (603) 862-3806.

Intercollege Courses

Intercollege courses include INCO 401, War; INCO 402, Peace; INCO 404, Honors: Freshman Seminar; INCO 410, College; INCO 450, Introduction to Race, Culture, and Power; INCO 480, Art in Society; INCO 585, 586, Foreign Exchange; INCO 604, Honors: Senior Thesis/Project; INCO 655-656, London Program; INCO 685, 686, Study Abroad; and INCO 698, Summer Research Project, and others.

International Affairs


The Center for International Education offers undergraduate students the opportunity to pursue a dual major in international affairs. The dual major requires completion of the interdisciplinary international affairs program and any other major.

The purpose of the program is to expand students’ global horizons, enhance their disciplinary major, and expand their career opportunities into the international arena.

Required Core Courses
IA 401, International Perspectives: Science, Business, and Politics
IA 501, Global Issues in International Affairs
IA 701, Seminar in International Affairs
Four Electives
Choose one from each of the program’s four elective groups
Foreign area (to be taken prior to foreign experience)
Science, technology, and the private sector
Public policy
Theory in international affairs
Competency in Geography
Satisfactory score on geography exam given at the end of IA 401
Competency in a Foreign Language
Functional reading, writing, and speaking ability equivalent to the third-year, second-semester level

Foreign Experience

A minimum of eight weeks in a foreign country. The courses in the dual major program are multidisciplinary, taught by faculty from many different departments in the University. They are designed to help students appreciate the complex interrelationships and interdependencies among nations and peoples and to equip students with the analytical skills and broad perspectives necessary for both public- and private-sector international careers.

Students who wish to declare international affairs must earn a C or better in IA 401, have declared (or be prepared to declare) a disciplinary major, and have a 2.50 cumulative grade-point average. After declaration, students are expected to maintain at least a 2.50 grade-point average, which is the minimum required for study abroad at UNH.

IA 401, a prerequisite for IA 501, should be taken during the freshman year, and IA 501 no later than spring of the sophomore year. The geography exam will be offered every year at the end of IA 401. Students may take the exam three times, but must pass it before taking IA 701.

The foreign experience (usually completed during the junior year), the foreign experience report, and the foreign language requirement are completed before taking IA 701 in the senior year. To acquire the knowledge, skills, and experience that come from residence in a foreign culture, students may spend an academic year, semester, or summer in an academic institution, in an internship with a private or public organization, or in purposeful travel/research. All foreign experiences must be preapproved by the IA major adviser or the University Committee on International Studies.

The completion of the dual major requires no additional credits for graduation beyond the 128 required of all UNH students. All coursework required for international affairs must be completed with a grade of C or better. For information, contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.

Marine Sciences

Undergraduate programs in marine science and ocean engineering at the University of New Hampshire reflect the diversity of the ocean itself and are enriched by easy access to a variety of natural laboratories, including tidal rivers, estuaries, coastal areas, and the open ocean.
Studies in marine science and ocean engineering are offered through various departments of the University. Students identify the discipline (ranging from zoology through earth sciences to mechanical engineering) they like best and pursue marine specializations related to that area of study. Studies can take place in research laboratories on campus as well as at various field stations or aboard UNH research vessels.

Marine Program

The Marine Program provides a campuswide umbrella for marine activities and maintains specialized facilities to support efforts of faculty in individual departments and organized research units. The Center for Marine Biology, the Center for Ocean Sciences and the Center for Ocean Engineering—the Marine Program’s three major components—provide education and research activities in their particular areas.

Estuarine research is pursued at the Jackson Estuarine Laboratory on Great Bay, which is designated a National Estuarine Research Reserve. The Coastal Marine Laboratory, a major running-seawater facility, is located in nearby New Castle. Research on salmonids and other freshwater animals is conducted at the Anadromous Fish and Aquatic Invertebrate Research Laboratory, located near the Durham reservoir. The Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space is a major center for ocean sciences research. The on-campus Chase Ocean Engineering Laboratory houses both educational and research activities. Off-shore and coastal studies are carried out aboard the University’s 50-foot research vessel, the Gulf Challenger, which has docking facilities at the Jackson Lab and at the State Fish Pier in Portsmouth Harbor. During the summer, students may live and study at the Shoals Marine Laboratory on Appledore Island, one of the Isles of Shoals. There UNH and Cornell University cooperatively offer undergraduate courses in marine sciences in a summer field laboratory setting. Each of the marine program facilities features modern specialized equipment, including navigational and sampling aids aboard the research vessel.

Curricula in the Marine Sciences

There are currently two undergraduate majors and three minors in the marine sciences. The College of Life Sciences and Agriculture offers a major in biology with an option in marine and freshwater biology (see biology under COLSA) and the Department of Earth Sciences offers an option in oceanography as part of its B.A. Earth Sciences program. In addition to these offerings, students can declare a major in any established discipline and augment it with a minor in marine biology, ocean engineering, or oceanography.

Students are encouraged to declare their intention to follow this program as soon as possible.

Marine Biology Minor

The minor in marine biology, available to all students in the University, consists of 20 credits with grades of C– or better and no pass/fail courses. No more than 8 major requirement credits may be used. All courses in the program are selected in consultation with a minor adviser. Contact Larry Harris, Department of Zoology, for more information.

Students who want to minor in marine biology must take one introductory course (ESCI 501, Introduction to Oceanography; ZOOL/PBIO 503, Introduction to Marine Biology; or ZOOL 674, Field Marine Science) and four courses concentrating on an area of interest. For example, a student interested in marine mammals might take Mammalogy (ZOOL 712), Marine Invertebrate Evolution and Ecology (ZOOL 628), Marine Vertebrates (ZOOL 753), and Fisheries Biology (ZOOL 772). Courses commonly taken as part of the minor include PBIO 625, 721, 722, 725; ENE 747; MICR 714, 707; ZOOL/PBIO 503; ZOOL 628, 674, 751, 753, 772, 775. In addition, students are encouraged to become involved in a research project, either by working in a professor’s laboratory or by participating in the Undergraduate Ocean Research Program (TECH 797).

Students should declare their intention to minor in marine biology before the end of the junior year. During the final term, students should apply to the dean to have the minor shown on their transcript.

Ocean Engineering Minor

The ocean engineering minor allows undergraduate engineering students to acquire a nucleus of knowledge about engineering pertaining to the ocean and the coastal zone.

To meet the University minor requirement, students must satisfactorily complete a minimum of five courses from the following list: ESCI 501, Introduction to Oceanography; OE 690, Introduction to Ocean Engineering; ESCI 752, Chemical Oceanography; ESCI 758, Introductory Physical Oceanography; ESCI 759, Geological Oceanography; OE 710, Ocean Measurements Lab; OE 744, Corrosion; OE 753, Ocean Hydrodynamics; OE 754, Ocean Waves and Tides; OE 756, Principles of Naval Architecture and Model Testing; OE 770, Introduction to Ocean Mapping; OE 771, Geodesy and Positioning for Ocean Mapping; OE 781, Physical Instrumentation; OE 785, Underwater Acoustics; OE 795, Special Topics in Ocean Engineering; ENE 747, Introduction to Marine Pollution and Control; OE 757, Coastal Engineering and Processes; and TECH 797, Undergraduate Ocean Research Program. Ordinarily, students typically take ESCI 501, TECH 797, and OE 690 plus two additional engineering courses from the above list to complete the minor.

Students wishing to take the ocean engineering minor should indicate their interest to the ocean engineering minor adviser, Kenneth C. Baldwin (kcb@cisunix.unh.edu), Department of Mechanical Engineering (603) 862-1898, no later than the beginning of the junior year. During the final semester, students must apply to the dean to have the minor shown on their transcript.

Oceanography Minor

The minor in oceanography, available to all students in the University through the Department of Earth Sciences, consists of a minimum of five courses with grades of C (2.00) or better and no pass/fail courses. No more than 8 major requirement credits may be used. All courses in the program are selected in consultation with the oceanography minor adviser, T. C. Loder, in the Department of Earth Sciences.

Required courses include (1) ESCI 501, Introduction to Oceanography; (2) two of the following courses: ESCI 750, Biological Oceanography; ESCI 752, Chemical Oceanography; ESCI 758, Introductory Physical Oceanography; ESCI 759, Geological Oceanography; (3) any two of the following courses, or a suitable substitute approved by the minor adviser (at least one of these courses should be in the biological sciences): PBIO 625, 722; CIE 757; ENE 747, 753; ESCI 653, 658, 754, 756, 760, 770, 771; MICR 707; OE 690, 710, 753, 754, 757, 785; EREC 611; TECH 797; ZOOL 503, 560, 674, 720, 725, 730, 751, 753, 772, 775; ZOOL/ESCI/750.

Students are encouraged to declare their intention to minor in oceanography before the end of the junior year. During the final semester, students should apply to the dean to have the minor shown on their transcript.

Shoals Marine Laboratory

The University of New Hampshire, in cooperation with Cornell University, offers a summer field program in marine sciences on Appledore Island of the Isles of Shoals. Undergraduate courses introduce students to a broad array of marine sciences, including oceanography, marine biology, fisheries, and marine resources. Introduction to Field Marine Science (ZOOL 474), a three-week, 4-credit course, is offered every other summer at the Shoals Marine Lab. It has no prerequisites and satisfies the general education requirement in the biological sciences. The four-week, 6-credit general courses, Field Marine Science (ZOOL 674) and Field Marine Biology and Ecology (ZOOL 675), are offered in June and August, respectively, each summer. They draw upon the backgrounds of numerous faculty and others associated with marine science and fisheries. There are daily lectures and work in laboratory and field. The courses are graded on a letter-grade basis; at least one full year of college biology or the equivalent is a prerequisite.

Other credit courses are offered in marine botany, invertebrate zoology, experimental ecology, ornithology, animal behavior, fish ecology, coastal ecology and bioclimatology, wetlands, marine vertebrates, coastal policy, underwater research, and biological illustration.

Undergraduate research for credit is an option where students carry out part or all of an independent project at Shoals under the guidance of Shoals faculty. Shoals offers generous financial aid to UNH students outside of the normal UNH financial aid packages. For further information, contact Dr. Jessica Bolker at (603) 862-0071.

Diving Program

The UNH diving program offers instruction in SCUBA diving and research diving techniques. It also provides professional diving support for underwater research. The Shoals Marine Laboratory offers courses in marine archaeology and underwater research during the summer, under the guidelines of UNH diving regulations. For further information, contact Liz Kintzing, diving safety officer, through the Diving Program Office in the Field House, (603) 862-3896.

Marine Research

There are many opportunities for undergraduates to participate in marine research under the supervision of UNH faculty.

The University of New Hampshire has a Sea Grant College Program that supports research, teaching, and service projects through funding from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the Department of Commerce. Marine research projects also receive support through the National Science Foundation, the Department of the Interior, the Office of Naval Research, and other foundations and private donors.

Extensive research, interdisciplinary academic programs, and the extraordinary variety of marine environments and facilities allow students to observe and learn about the frontiers of science and technology being explored in the ocean. For further information about marine opportunities, contact the Marine Program Office in the Jere A. Chase Ocean Engineering Laboratory.

Race, Culture, and Power

How does the category of race shape our lives, our politics, and our possibilities? Events in this country and internationally constantly remind us that race is an explosive issue. To be able to function as citizens of the world, one must understand the dynamics of race, culture, and power.

This minor reflects intellectual currents now being felt around the world. It prepares students to live in the twenty-first century.

Courses for the minor enable students to develop critical perspectives on the ways in which cultural differentiation and racial explanations have been used to maintain social, economic, and political power.

To complete the minor, students are required to take an introductory course (INCO 450) and 16 credits of electives. Students must earn a C- or better in each course, and must maintain a 2.00 grade-point average in courses taken for the minor. Ordinarily, not more than two electives may be taken from the same academic department. A relevant internship may be substituted for one of the electives. Electives may include a senior seminar. A selected list of electives follows. Many of these courses are special topics and require student petition. Students should consult the minor coordinator before registration.

A partial list of potentially acceptable electives follows
AMST 502, Introduction to African American Studies
AMST 696, Latin American Literature Translation
ANTH 697, Economic Development Theory
ANTH 500C,D,F,Z, Peoples and Cultures of the World
ANTH 520, Anthropology of Migration
ANTH 601, Popular Culture/Native Americans
ANTH 627, Urbanization in Africa
ANTH 697, Special Topics
ANTH 714, Caste, Class and Colonialism
CMN 515, Analysis of News
CMN 567, Images of Gender in the Media
CMN 572, Language and Behavior
CMN 657, Antislavery and Abolition Rhetoric
CMN 680, Perspectives on Culture and Communication
ECON 668, Economic Development Theory
ENGL 517, Introduction to African American Literature and Culture
ENGL 581, Introduction to Post-Colonial Literature in England
ENGL 595, Native American Studies
ENGL 616, Asian American Film
ENGL 690, Introduction to African American Literature in America
ENGL 739, American Indian Literature
ENGL 758, Shakespeare and Racial Difference
FS 757, Race, Class, Gender, and Families
HIST 405, History of Early America
HIST 410, Survey of American Civilization
HIST 497, Crime and Punishment in History
HIST 505, African American History
HIST 506, African American History
HIST 507, Native Peoples of America
HIST 509, Law in American Life
HIST 531, Americans: Introduction to Latin America
HIST 532, Modern Latin America
HIST 587, History of Africa
HIST 600, The British Empire
HIST 603, European Conquest of America
HIST 615, Twentieth Century America
HIST 631, History of Brazil
HIST 684, Southern Africa since 1820
IA 501, Gender, Race, and War in the Modern Era
INCO 450, Introduction to Race, Culture, and Power
PHIL 540, Philosophy of Race and Racism
POLT 513, Civil Rights and Liberties
POLT 525, Multicultural Theory
POLT 620, Multicultural Theory
SOC 530, Race and Ethnic Relations
SOC 645, Class, Status, and Gender
SW 525, Introduction to Social Welfare and Policy
SW 551, Human Behavior and Social Environment II
SPAN 526, Latin American Civilization and Culture
SPAN 622, Latin American and Brazilian Literature in Translation
WS 401, Introduction to Women’s Studies (select sections)

For more information and to be assigned an adviser for the race, culture, and power minor, contact a co-coordinator: Nina Glick Schiller, Department of Anthropology, (603) 862-1848, Huddleston 315, or the office of the minor at (603) 862-3753, Huddleston 336A.

Student-Designed Majors

Under special circumstances, students may design their own majors. This option is offered for highly motivated and self-disciplined students who seek a course of study that is not available through existing programs at the University. It allows students, with the close supervision of faculty members, to cross department and college lines and to create educational experiences on and off campus as part of individual programs of study.

Student-designed majors are administered by a committee of elected faculty that operates through the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Students who want to design their own majors are expected to give the committee evidence of careful thought and planning in a proposal submitted on or before October 15 during the student’s junior year. The committee will convene soon after October 15 to review the proposals.

Submissions after this deadline are strongly discouraged, but if an application is late for reasons beyond the student’s control, the SDM Committee may review the application on a case-by-case basis.

Proposal guidelines are available in the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and on the Academic Affairs Web site www.unh.edu/academic-affairs/vpaa/ located under “Students.”

Technology, Society, and Values

The technology, society, and values (TSV) minor integrates studies of modern technology, its social and environmental impact, and its ethical implications. It allows students in technological majors to understand their disciplines in a broader context, and those in nontechnological majors to become better informed about technology and its effects. It provides courses which illuminate technological achievements and dilemmas spawned by technology, arranges public programs at which policy and ethical issues on technology are addressed, and seeks career contacts for students in fields that cut across liberal arts and technological topics.

The student minoring in TSV completes a minimum of 20 credits of TSV approved courses, including TSV internships. All students in the minor must take PHIL 424, Science, Technology, and Society. TECH 583, Technology: Cultural Aspects is required of all non-engineering students. Other students may petition out of the TECH 583 requirement with the approval of the TSV coordinator.

The remaining courses to constitute the minor are selected from the following list, or upon approval by the TSV program in case of relevant courses not listed below.

CHE 410, Survey of Current Energy and Pollution Control Technology
CMN 455, Introduction to Mass Communication
CMN 647, Rhetoric of Science
ENE 520, Environmental Pollution and Protection-A Global Context
ENGL 521, The Nature Writers
HMP 401, U.S. Health Care Systems
HIST 521, The Origins of Modern Science
HIST 522, Science in the Modern Period
HIST 523, Introduction to the History of Science
HIST 654, Topics in the History of Science
INCO 401, War
NURS 670, Issues in Health Care of the Aged
NR 535, Contemporary Conservation Issues
NR 750, Applied Environmental Philosophy
PHIL 424, Science, Technology, and Society
PHIL 450, Ecology and Values
PHIL 447, Computer Power and Human Reason
PHIL 630, Philosophy of the Natural Sciences
PHIL 660, Law, Medicine, and Morals
TECH 583, Technology: Cultural Aspects
TOUR 767, Social Impact Assessment A senior thesis option to replace 4–8 credits is possible with permission of the interdisciplinary TSV Steering Committee.

A student normally may apply up to four credits within his or her major, and at most eight credits within any one department toward the TSV minor.

Students interested in minoring in TSV should contact the Department of Philosophy, (603) 862-1040.

War and Peace Studies

War is the scourge of humankind. Tribes, cities, and nations have gone to war against each other for as long as we have records; only here and there, among some small “precivilized” groups, has war been absent or strictly controlled. For as long as we have records, too, we find thoughtful people crying out against war and pleading for peace, arguing for principles to govern war’s conduct and laboring to mitigate war’s effects, imagining a world where war is abolished, and taking steps to bring that world about. As the scale of war has grown to a size now great enough to devastate the entire globe in a single conflict, more and more people have devoted themselves to preventing war and finding acceptable substitutes. In the nuclear era, age-old moral and religious discussion has joined with historical study and practical, even technical, research to produce a set of related disciplines sometimes called “war and peace studies.”

To meet the requirements for the war and peace studies minor, students must complete two core courses (8 credits) and 12 credits of elective courses with a grade of C– or better. At least one core course must be completed before any elective can be counted toward the minor. Ordinarily no two electives (or no more than 4 credits) may be taken from the same academic department. No elective may count for both a student’s major and the war and peace minor. A relevant internship may be substituted for one of the electives. As they are announced, other relevant courses may be added to the list of acceptable electives. Students may request others not so listed. Courses carrying fewer than four credits will be counted as partial satisfaction of an elective requirement. If a good case can be made for it, a departure from any of these rules may be approved by the adviser for the minor and the coordinator.

All students will be assigned an adviser from the membership of the Committee on War and Peace Studies, ordinarily one not in the student’s major department. The adviser will assist students in constructing a coherent program that suits their particular interests.

The core courses are INCO 401, War, and INCO 402, Peace. Occasionally a new core course may be included.

Departmental elective courses will include courses such as these
AERO 681, National Security Forces in Contemporary American Society (3 cr.)
CMN 456, Propaganda and Persuasion
HIST 520, The Vietnam War
HIST 537, Espionage and History
MILT 413, The Defense Establishment and National Security (1 cr.)
MILT 502, American Military History (2 cr.)
NR 535, Contemporary Conservation Issues
POLT 562, Strategy and National Security Policy
POLT 761, International Law
POLT 778, International Organization
RECO 506, Population, Food, and Resource Use in Developing Countries
SOC 780, Social Conflict
Special offerings that may serve as electives
ANTH 797, Advanced Topics in Anthropology (e.g., War and Complex Society)
ECON 698, Topics in Economics (e.g., Economics of War and Peace)
ENGL 595, Literary Topics; ENGL 693, 694, Special Topics in Literature; ENGL 797, 798, Special Studies in Literature (e.g., Literature of World War I, Literature of the Vietnam War)
HIST 600, Advanced Explorations in History (e.g., Comparative Revolutions)
HUMA 690, Special Studies in the Humanities (e.g., Nonviolence, Thinking about War and Peace)
INCO 404P, Understanding War
POLT 660, Special Topics in International Politics (e.g., Arms Control and Disarmament)

For more information, contact either Ken Fuld, Department of Psychology, or Michael Ferber, Department of English.

Preprofessional Programs


Many graduates of UNH attend law school. The faculty and staff advisers of the Prelaw Advising Committee are interested in working closely with students to identify interests and explore opportunities within legal education. The committee wishes to help students undertake the best possible preparation for legal education while also bringing the excitement of law to UNH students. The committee achieves this goal through careful consideration of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) statement on “Preparation for Legal Education” (found on the Web at www.abanet.org/legaled/prelaw/prep.html).

In that statement, the ABA takes pain to explain why no single major or course is required or recommended for students wishing to explore or prepare for legal study. The ABA does, however, describe certain “Skills and Values” that are essential to success in law school and to life as a lawyer. Those skills include analytic and problem solving skills; critical reading abilities; writing skills; oral communication and listening abilities; general research skills; task organization and management skills; and the values of serving others and promoting justice.

Academically, prelaw advising implements the ABA statement by working with student interests and strengths to select UNH courses that will develop those “Skills and Values.” Programmatically, the committee provides a prelaw library, sponsors discussions with law school admission and financial aid representatives, and members of the legal community. Procedurally, the committee also provides support for LSAT preparation and law school search, application, and selection processes.

Interested students should register with the Committee by contacting the University Advising Center at (603) 862-2064. Useful information is available on the Web at www.unh.edu/prelaw-advising/.


Premedical/Prehealth Care Professional Study

The Premedical/Predental Advising Office in Hood House provides advising for all students preparing for postgraduate careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, chiropractics, podiatry, physical therapy, and physician assistant programs (for information on the Preveterinary Medicine Option in Animal Sciences, see page 81). There is no premedical or predental major at UNH, so students are encouraged to major in the subject of most interest to them. A student’s major is not considered in the application process and students from majors in all five UNH colleges have been admitted to postgraduate health professional programs. Though premedical/predental is not a major, interested students are expected to register with the Premedical/Predental Advising Office in Hood House as soon as possible so as to be kept informed of important events, opportunities, and deadlines.

A premedical/predental program at UNH consists of the following:

1. Taking the prerequisite courses for admission to a health professional program. Medical and dental schools generally require biology, physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry—all two semesters each with laboratory. An additional semester of biochemistry is required by some schools and is, therefore, highly recommended. A year of English, preferably composition or critical analysis, is required, as is one year of math including at least one semester of calculus. Prerequisite courses can be taken as part of a student’s major curriculum, as part of the General Education requirements, or as electives.

2. Gaining volunteer/health care experience. Applicants to health professional programs will be expected to demonstrate a sustained involvement in volunteer and community service. A significant portion of this experience must take place in a health professional setting and include direct patient contact. Most students gain this experience by volunteering at a hospital, though volunteer opportunities are available in a wide range of settings, including nursing homes and community clinics.

3. Preparing for the requisite entrance exam. Students applying to medical school are required to take the MCAT exam. Students applying to dental programs are required to take the DAT, and applicants to optometry programs take the OAT. The MCAT, DAT, and OAT are standardized, comprehensive exams that test students’ knowledge of biological and physical sciences as well as verbal reasoning and writing skills. Exams are usually taken by students no earlier than the spring of their junior year and should be taken only if the student has completed or is within a month of completing prerequisite coursework. Students applying for physician assistant and physical therapy programs are required to take the GRE, a more general exam similar to the SAT in structure and content.

Application process

The Premedical/Predental Advising Office works with the Premedical/Predental Advisory Committee—a body of 10–12 UNH faculty members with interest and/or experience in medical/dental education—to provide students with comprehensive confidential recommendation services at the time of application. An orientation meeting is held each September to outline the application process and establish timetables/deadlines. Students should note that the medical and dental school application process begins a full two years before matriculation; i.e., in the fall of a student’s junior year if they wish acceptance following graduation. However, a delay of a year or more between graduation and admission is neither unusual nor detrimental, and in many cases, students can use this time off to improve their credentials by taking additional courses and/or gaining exposure to the profession.

It is important that students understand that in order to gain admission to a health professional program they must not only satisfy the prerequisite requirements, they must satisfy these requirements at a high level of achievement. The Premedical/Predental Advising Office can provide students with information on competitive grade-point average and entrance exam scores for each of the postgraduate health professional programs.

The Premedical/Predental Advising Office is located in Hood House and can be contacted by phone at (603) 862-3418 or by e-mail at Premed.Advising@unh.edu. The Office also has a Web site at www.unh.edu/premed-advising.

Off-Campus Programs

UNH/UNHM Cross Registration

Matriculated students at the University of New Hampshire and the University of New Hampshire at Manchester may take UNH courses at either location. Students must have permission from their academic advisers and must register for the courses on a space-available basis. For more information and special registration forms, students should contact James Wolf, associate registrar, Stoke Hall, or Regina McCarthy, director of academic counseling, UNHM.

Consortium (NHCUC) Student Exchange Program

Under the Student Exchange Program of the New Hampshire College and University Council (NHCUC), UNH students may be eligible to enroll for one or two courses, one semester of courses, or a full year of coursework at a member school, on a space-available basis. The consortium exchange allows matriculated undergraduates to use educational resources that are not available at the home campus and are considered appropriate for their degree programs. The consortium exchange will be used only when academic reasons or other special circumstances warrant it. Approval of the UNH adviser and college dean is required. Schools in the NHCUC consortium include Colby-Sawyer College, Daniel Webster College, Franklin Pierce College, New England College, Southern New Hampshire University, Rivier College, St. Anselm College, UNH, Keene State College, and Plymouth State University. Students will remain as degree candidates and continue to pay normal UNH tuition and fees, but must make their own room and board arrangements if they plan to spend a full semester at another consortium school. For more information and application forms, students should contact Carolyn Tacy in the National Student Exchange Office in Hood House, (603) 862-3485.

New England Subdegree Exchange Program

In order to provide students at the New England land-grant universities with expanded access to unique programs and faculty expertise, the institutions have agreed to encourage student exchanges of one, but not more than two, semesters. To qualify, students must identify a course or combination of courses related to their area of academic interest and not available on their home campus, be degree candidates in good standing with at least a 2.50 grade-point average, be at least first-semester sophomores, and receive permission from the appropriate university exchange authorities at both the sending and receiving institutions. Interested students should contact Carolyn Tacy in the National Student Exchange Office in Hood House, (603) 862-3485.

Exchange Programs within the U.S.

The University offers many possibilities for exchange study with other American institutions. Exchange programs provide an educational experience in a different environment within the United States. It is hoped that students will develop new ways of viewing the country and expand their knowledge of our complex society.

A one-semester or full-year exchange program is available with the University of California, Santa Cruz. In addition, through the National Student Exchange, UNH students can study at more than 170 colleges and universities throughout the U.S. and its territories (including, but not limited to, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Florida, Alaska, and Puerto Rico). Several historically black colleges and universities are exchange members and several are members of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.

To qualify for exchange study, students must be full-time undergraduate degree candidates with at least a 2.50 grade-point average, have declared a major, receive permission from their college dean and adviser, and receive permission from the exchange coordinator.

Students in exchange programs are expected to return to UNH to complete their studies. Participation in an exchange program does not disrupt the continuity of a student’s educational process. Exchange program participants continue to maintain their status as UNH students, even while temporarily located at another university. Students thus do not have to withdraw from UNH and later be readmitted. Maintaining UNH student status also facilitates reentry into classes, on-campus housing, and many other dimensions of University life.

Interested students should contact Carolyn Tacy in the National Student Exchange Office in Hood House, (603) 862-3485.

Study Abroad Programs

The University offers opportunities for full-time, degree candidates with declared majors, 32 credits, and minimum 2.50 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) to study in many foreign institutions. For the purposes of calculating the GPA, bachelor’s degree candidates may not include grades earned for Thompson School courses. Opportunities in Canada, England, France, German-speaking countries, Hungary, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Scotland, and Spain are described below. Students may study abroad in other locations through UNH-approved programs by using the intercollege option (INCO). All students who study abroad pay a study abroad or exchange fee. For information on study abroad programs, students should contact the Center for International Education (Hood House) or the departments identified in the following UNH-managed program descriptions.


New England/Québec Student Exchange Program

Students may spend one or two semesters during their junior or senior year at one of twenty French- or English-speaking universities in the province of Québec. Eligibility requirements include a command of the language of the host campus, U.S. citizenship, and at least sophomore standing. Contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.

New England/Nova Scotia Student Exchange Program

Students may spend one or two semesters during their junior or senior year at one of eleven participating Nova Scotia institutions offering programs in the liberal arts, agriculture, business, engineering, art, and other fields. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship and at least sophomore standing. Contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.


Cambridge Summer Program

For six weeks each summer, students from across the United States have the opportunity to participate in the UNH Cambridge Summer Program held at Cambridge University in England. Program participants take courses in English, history, and the humanities, taught by faculty from Cambridge University and UNH. Students live, dine, study, and socialize together at Gonville and Caius College, one of the oldest colleges at Cambridge. The program is open to students who have successfully completed at least one year of college; participation fulfills UNH’s (Group 5) foreign culture, General Education Requirement. For more information, contact the director at the Department of English, Cambridge Program Office, 53 Hamilton Smith Hall, www.unh.edu/cambridge.

Lancaster Exchange Program

Lancaster University is a comprehensive university similar to UNH in size, setting, and program offerings. The program allows students to spend a semester or a year in Lancaster while still making normal progress toward their UNH degree. Contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.

London Program

At Regent’s College in the heart of London, the University of New Hampshire sponsors courses in British studies, the arts, humanities, and a wide range of other basic subjects offered during the fall and spring semesters. Taught by British and American faculty members, many of the courses are specifically concerned with British studies or have a special British emphasis. The program allows students to spend a semester or year in London while still making normal progress toward their U.S. degrees. To be eligible, students must have successfully completed at least one year of college, declared a major, and achieved an overall grade-point average of at least 2.50. Interested students should contact the program coordinator, London Program Office, 53 Hamilton Smith Hall, www.unh.edu/london.


Summer French Language Program in Brest

Qualified students may take the equivalent of FREN 503 and/or 504, the UNH Intermediate French sequence, or FREN 631 and/or 632, the UNH advanced French sequence, in Brest. A port city in the province of Brittany in western France, Brest is a sister city of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

The courses are offered summer only in intensive four-week summer sessions at the Centre International d’Études des Langues (CIEL). Students generally live with local families and attend classes a total of 24 hours per week. Credit for courses completed successfully will be automatically transferred to UNH. For more information, contact Barbara Cooper, Department of Language, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall.

Junior Year Program in Dijon

The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures sponsors a junior year abroad program at the University of Burgundy in Dijon, France. Students generally live with French families in the heart of this historic city and take classes at the university with French students. Credit for all work completed successfully will be automatically transferred to UNH. The program is open to those who have completed FREN 631-632 and FREN 651-652, with a grade of B or better. For more information, see Claire Malarte Feldman, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-1303.

Business Administration Program in Grenoble

The New England State Universities offer a spring semester of study in international marketing at the Group ESC Grenoble. This is an opportunity for students interested in international business, economics, and trade to participate in an English-speaking program while gaining exposure to French culture. The semester will begin early in January with a one-week orientation and introduction to France, followed by two weeks of intensive French language. Students will be assessed and placed in the appropriate level. Students will be enrolled in five courses: four taught by Grenoble faculty and one taught by the U.S. faculty member accompanying the group as resident director. The language of instruction is English. Students will earn 16 credits for the program. The program will continue until the end of May. During the semester there will be two one-week breaks and a one-week study trip.

French Program in Paris

A spring semester program for intermediate-level students in Paris, France (see FREN 582/682). The program is open to all qualified students at UNH who have completed FREN 501 or higher. Courses include one French language course and four additional courses taught in English; general education and French minor credit are available. The deadline for applications is October 15, therefore students interested in this program should consult with the UNH on-campus director in the late spring or early in the fall semester. Contact Juliette Rogers, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-1068.

German-Speaking Countries

Students may study for a semester or a full year through any approved American study abroad program or, in special cases, by applying directly to universities in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Most programs require a minimum grade-point average of 3.00 and a B average in the major. Programs vary greatly in academic focus, size, language of instruction, living arrangements, services and extra-curricular programming provided, and cost. Some programs accept students only for a full year. Study abroad goals and requirements should be discussed with a German adviser as early as freshman year. Program and application materials may be obtained through the Center for International Education in Hood House. For credit in the German major or minor, the program must be conducted in German. After consultation with the major adviser and the study abroad adviser to establish possible UNH course equivalents and fulfillment of major and/or general education requirements, students submit a Prior Approval Form indicating the planned course of study abroad. To ensure proper credit transfer, especially if seeking to transfer credits directly from a university abroad without benefit of an American program, students should keep syllabi, course descriptions, and all written work. Students planning study at a university in Germany , Austria, or Switzerland should note major differences in academic calendar (Winter Semester October-February, Summer Session April-July) which may be shortened by the American sponsor university to accommodate U.S. academic calendars.

Junior Year Program in Salzburg, Austria

Students who have completed GERM 504 or equivalent may enroll for one or both semesters at the University of Salzburg through the New England Universities Consortium. UNH faculty contact person is Professor Ed Larkin, (603) 862-3549.

Summer Review Course in Rosenheim, Germany

Conducted in early summer in Rosenheim, Germany, this course offers an intensive, three-week review of the basic structures and vocabulary of the German language. Particular emphasis is placed on speaking German in everyday situations. The course is open to students of any major who have successfully completed one year of college German at the elementary level (GERM 401–402) or its equivalent. Contact Professor Ed Larkin, (603) 862-3549 or CIE, 862-2398.

Intensive Language Courses through the Goethe Institut

Students needing to advance rapidly in proficiency beginning at any level and at any time of year may enroll at a Goethe Institut center in Germany for courses ranging from eight to16 weeks and receive UNH equivalent credit depending on level of exam passed upon completion of course. UNH faculty contact person is Professor Nancy Lukens, (603) 862-3450 or CIE, 862-2398.

German Internship

Students who have completed GERM 504 or equivalent may apply for an unpaid 4-8 credit internship placement in a German-speaking firm or organization. The internship does not alone fulfill the study abroad requirement for the major, but may count toward the minor and may be coupled with academic course work through UNH or any study abroad program to fulfill the major study abroad requirement. Faculty contact person is Professor Nancy Lukens, (603) 862-3450.


Budapest Program in Justice Studies

The UNH Budapest Program in Justice Studies is designed to introduce students interested in the field to a broader appreciation of the cross-cultural perspective. Each fall, fifteen UNH students spend the semester in residence at the Budapest University of Economic Sciences in Budapest, Hungary. Hungary offers students an opportunity to witness first hand the evolution of a criminal justice system within a context of significant cultural, political, economic, and social change. Situated along the Danube in one of central Europe’s oldest cities, BUES offers a unique educational experience to students interested in the study of criminology, law and society, and the administration of justice. Under the supervision of a UNH faculty member also in residence, students carry a four course load, two of which are taught by the UNH faculty member. All courses are taught in English.

Eligible students must hold sophomore standing, have completed either SOC 515 or POLT 507, and one other course in the Justice Studies curriculum, and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.50. Participating students will meet several times during the spring semester prior to the study abroad semester to prepare for the program. Interested students should contact the Budapest Program in Justice Studies office at 862-1957.

Engineering and Physical Sciences Exchange Program in Budapest

The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences has arranged an opportunity for its students to spend the fall semester of their junior year at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BUTE) in Budapest, Hungary. Courses at BUTE are taught in English and receive prior approval for degree credit. Students studying at Budapest, therefore, will graduate on schedule at UNH. A general education course on the language, geography, and culture of Hungary, taken at BUTE, is required. The foreign student office at BUTE will appoint a Hungarian adviser for each student and will assist in obtaining housing either in dormitories, or in apartments. Further information is available from the college’s educational assistant, Carol French, and the college’s foreign exchange administrative coordinator; Marina Markot, Educational Coordinator, CIE, Hood House, or Professor Andrzej Rucinski, Foreign Exchange Program Coordinator, (603) 862-1381. For more information, visit the Web site for the program at www.ceps.unh.edu/academics/budapest/.


Living Routes—Ecovillage Education/Geo Communities Semester

Available to students in all majors, the Geo Communities Semester is an intensive immersion program in sustainable community development. Students create a learning community within the living community of Auroville, an international township of 1,900 people from more than 35 nations which aims to sustainably support 50,000 people. The community is a pioneer in many emerging fields such as reforestation and habitat restoration, appropriate technology, alternative building, organic farming, educational projects, and more. Internships and extended field visits to environmental and cultural sites throughout south India are included. Contact Daniel Greenberg, Ph.D. (888) 515-7333.


UNH-in-Italy in Ascoli Piceno

Students may participate in the UNH-in-Italy Program in the medieval city of Ascoli Piceno, for a semester, a year, or a summer (see ITAL 685-686). Students generally live with Italian families or in apartments in the heart of this medieval city and take UNH courses taught by UNH faculty. Students with advanced language skills may also enroll in courses at the University of Ascoli Piceno. Internships are available. There is no language prerequisite. Students must have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.50 and at least sophomore standing. For further information, contact Piero Garofalo, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, Murkland Hall, (603) 862-3769.


Kansai Gaidai University, Osaka

Students may spend one or two semesters at Kansai Gaidai University in Osaka, Japan. Program participants study the Japanese language, business, politics, literature, fine arts, and other courses. Eligibility requirements include a 3.00 grade-point average and sophomore, junior, or senior standing. Contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.

Kanto Gakuin University, Yokohama

Students may spend the fall semester at Kanto Gakuin University. Program participants study Japanese language, literature, and culture. Contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.

The Netherlands

Program at the Institute of Higher European Studies in The Hague

The Center for International Education administers a semester abroad at the Institute of Higher European Studies in The Hague, The Netherlands. All classes are in English. This program is available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The Netherlands provides easy access to all of Western Europe and is a wonderful and easy country in which to live and travel. The curriculum at the institute offers a rich international perspective to students. Interested students should contact the Center for International Education, Hood House, (603) 862-2398.

Business Administration Program in Maastricht

The New England Universities offer a fall semester of study in International Business and Economics at the University of Limburg in Maastricht. This program provides students who are interested in multinational business and economics the opportunity to participate in an English-speaking European studies program.

Situated at the extreme southern tip of The Netherlands midway between the cities of Brussels and Bonn, a modern Maastricht provides ready access to the major institutions of the European Community. The city, which has become an important European Community center, is unparalleled in its beauty and historic value. The ancient walled city of Maastricht, founded by the Romans in 50 B.C. at the junction of the rivers Meuse and Jeker, is Holland’s oldest city. Today, Maastricht (population: 115,000) is a university city with facilities including academics of art and theater, a college of translation studies, a music conservatory, a hotel college, and a university with more than 6,000 students.

The University of Limburg is a relatively young university with facilities of law, economics, and business administration, humanities, medicine and the health sciences.

Academic Programs. Students admitted to the program will only earn 15 credits. The semester begins in late August with an orientation program and ends in mid-December. Participants will enroll in four or five 3-credit courses: three required courses, and one or two electives. All instruction is in English. Interested students should contact the program coordinator, WSBE Undergraduate Advising, (603) 862-3308.

New Zealand

EcoQuest, New Zealand

In partnership with the UNH Department of Natural Resources, EcoQuest Waharau, New Zealand, offers an intensive program of applied field studies in ecology, resource management, and environmental policy. New Zealand offers an ideal context for multidisciplinary, field-oriented studies, with its rich cultural traditions, diverse ecosystems, expansive natural areas, and history of innovative approaches to resource management. EcoQuest students engage, hands-on, in New Zealand’s restoration ecology and sustainable resource management initiatives. Semester participants have the opportunity to carry out directed research projects while working closely with a faculty mentor and in association with New Zealand research partners. The rural seaside campus features a four-acre, subtropical, organic orchard and vegetable garden and is located about an hour’s drive southeast of Auckland. Students travel throughout New Zealand’s North and South Islands to learn more about the unique ecosystems and local culture. Contact Donna Dowal, (603) 862-2036.

Puerto Rico

University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez

Students may spend one or two semesters at the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) at Mayaguez, the second largest of the three major campuses in the UPR system. While having the opportunity to learn in a Latin American environment, participants maintain their status as UNH students, pay UNH tuition, and will be able to graduate from UNH on schedule. The exchange is open to students and faculty members from all UNH majors. Since 80 percent of all courses at UPR are taught in Spanish, participants must be proficient in Spanish. Students must contact Carolyn Tacy, National Student Exchange Office, Hood House, (603) 862-3485.


Heriot-Watt University Exchange Program

College of Engineering and Physical Sciences students are eligible to participate in a spring semester exchange with Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland. The current program is designed for civil and environmental engineering majors. For more information, contact Robert Henry at (603) 862-3131, e-mail Robert.Henry@unh.edu.


Granada Program

The Granada program is administered jointly by the Spanish programs of the Universities of New Hampshire, and Connecticut. Students may spend one or two semesters in a program designed for those who have completed SPAN 631 or its equivalent, have a B average in Spanish and a cumulative grade-point average of 2.50, and have at least sophomore status. Courses taught by professors from the University of Granada fulfill requirements for the Spanish major and minor and general education requirements in humanities areas. Deadlines for fall applicants is March 1; for spring applicants, October 1. For further information, contact the Spanish Program, Murkland Hall.

Other Programs

Honors Program

The University of New Hampshire has a tradition of encouraging academic achievement through its 21 honorary societies, including active chapters of Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi. In 1984, the University took another step toward the recognition of outstanding students by establishing an undergraduate honors program. The University Honors Committee, made up of representatives from all colleges of the University, the Office of Admissions, the Division of Student Affairs, and the Registrar’s Office, supervises the operation and requirements of the program.

There are two ways to enter the University Honors Program:

1. The Office of Admissions identifies a number of qualified incoming freshmen who are then invited to submit an application to the honors program. The honors committee reviews these applications and determines admission to the program.

2. Freshmen who achieve a grade-point average of 3.20 or better during their first semester are also invited to join the program.

Participation in the University Honors Program does not add courses to those required to graduate. The first two years of the program focus on general education requirements. Students take a minimum of four honors-designated general education courses, one of which is an honors seminar based on a special topic. All students must attain a cumulative grade-point average of 3.20 by the end of their sophomore year in order to continue in the honors program.

The upperclass part of the honors program consists of honors work in the majors. A booklet describing these programs is available in department and college advising offices as well as in the Honors Program Office. Programs with “honors in major” work are animal sciences, anthropology, arts, biochemistry, biology, business administration, chemistry, chemical engineering, civil engineering, classics, communication, communication disorders, computer science, earth sciences, economics, English, electrical and computer engineering, environmental conservation, environmental horticulture, environmental and resource economics, family studies, forestry, French, geography, German, health management and policy, history, hospitality management, humanities, kinesiology (exercise specialist option), linguistics, mathematics, mechanical engineering, medical laboratory science, microbiology, music, nursing, nutritional sciences, occupational therapy, outdoor education, philosophy, physics, plant biology, political science, psychology, Russian, social work, sociology, Spanish, theatre, wildlife management, women’s studies, and zoology. Successful completion of University Honors Program requirements entitles the student to receive the designation “University honors in major” on his or her academic record and diploma. Completion of “honors in major” only is similarly denoted. The University Honors Committee has developed a “University honors” option for students in majors that do not offer honors work.

To satisfy honors program requirements, students must have a final cumulative grade-point average of 3.20 and meet the grade-point average requirements of their honors-in-major program. All courses used to achieve “University honors,” “University honors in major,” or “honors in major” must have a minimum grade of B–.

Full-tuition and partial-tuition merit-based scholarships are available to a select number of incoming freshmen. Several partial-tuition scholarships are also awarded to upper-class students. For more information, please contact Robert Mennel, director, University Honors Program, Hood House.

Reserve Officer Training Corps Programs

The Army and Air Force offer Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs leading to a commission as a second lieutenant in their respective services. Both programs are open to men and women. Students in either ROTC program may pursue any University curriculum that leads to a baccalaureate or higher degree.

Two- and four-year programs are available. The four-year program is open to freshmen, sophomores, and transfer students who began ROTC at another institution. In addition to on-campus ROTC course requirements, students must attend an officer preparatory training session for a part of one summer.

ROTC is open to students pursuing a baccalaureate degree who have a minimum of two academic years or more remaining within their degree program. Entering freshmen may preregister for MILT 413 (AROTC) or AERO 415 (AFROTC). Sophomores desiring to enter ROTC should check with either the Army or Air Force enrollment advisers located in Zais Hall.

Two-year ROTC programs are open to students who have two academic years of study remaining at the University. Applicants for the two-year program must attend a six-week training session during the summer immediately before their entry into ROTC.

ROTC scholarships are offered on a competitive basis by both the Army and Air Force. Entering freshmen may compete for four-year scholarships during the last year of high school. Additionally, incoming students with either a four-year or three-year ROTC scholarship will receive a room and board grant for the entire time that they are on an ROTC scholarship. Students in a four-year ROTC program and two-year program applicants compete for scholarships covering their remaining academic years. Scholarships pay for tuition, mandatory University fees, and required textbooks for all courses. Limits may be placed on these scholarships dependent upon the type and amount of expenses incurred. In addition, all scholarship recipients receive a tax-free monthly subsistence allowance. Nonscholarship students in the last two years of the ROTC program also receive the tax-free monthly subsistence allowance.

Both programs have administrative and medical requirements which must be met to qualify for a scholarship and commission.

More specific information about ROTC programs may be obtained by contacting the professor of military science (Army ROTC) or the professor of aerospace studies (Air Force ROTC).

Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)

Students can enhance their undergraduate education through collaborative research projects with faculty members. The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program offers participants the chance to improve research skills and to acquire an understanding of the nature of research in an academic field. Students may apply to the program to receive awards and fellowships in support of their research projects. They may conduct their research on campus or at appropriate research sites in the United States and abroad. Participation in the program can also aid students in making choices and developing plans concerning careers and graduate schools. For information, please contact Donna Brown, director, UROP Office, Hood House, (603) 862-4323.

International Research Opportunities Program (IROP)

IROP offers students opportunities for advanced research at the undergraduate level and in an international setting. It enables students to collaborate with both UNH faculty members and foreign researchers. And it integrates an international experience and global awareness within the students’ program of study. Students may apply for fellowships to support nine weeks of research during the summer working with the foreign research partners of UNH faculty. Students accepted into the program will complete language, culture, and research training before leaving and will share their research and cultural experience upon returning. Projects may include library/archival research, laboratory research, or field research. Research opportunities are available throughout the world including Latin America, Canada, Europe, Africa, and Asia. For more information, please contact Georgeann Murphy, program coordinator, IROP Office, Hood House, (603) 862-1933.

© 2003. All rights reserved.
University of New Hampshire
Office of University Publications
Schofield House
8 Garrison Avenue
Durham, NH 03824-3556
603-862-1463 Fax 603-862-1188

UNH Home Undergraduate Course Catalog Home UNH Home Undergraduate Course Catalog Home UNH Home