Air Force Officers Are Offered the Following:
- You do not have to live on base and are not restricted to the base.
- The Air Force offers a benefits package that exceeds most Fortune 500 companies.
- Life is FUN – take advantage of sports facilities, recreational facilities, intramural sports opportunities and golf courses on Air Force bases around the world.
- Pay: highly competitive salary and allowance package.
- Vacation: 30 days leave with pay each year.
- Sick Leave: unlimited; full pay continues.
- Medical Care: furnished at no cost.
- Dental Care: furnished at no cost.
- Life Insurance: $400,000 of low-cost term life insurance.
- Social Life: Officers clubs, swimming, golfing, bowling, tennis and more.
- Education: opportunity for higher education with tuition assistance or full scholarship.
- Retirement: opportunity to retire after 20 years with 50% of your base pay.
- Promotions: make first lieutenant after two years. Make captain after four years.
- Shopping: Save as much as 25% in on-base stores.
- Living Quarters: on-base housing available or off-base housing allowance paid.
- Travel: outstanding opportunities for worldwide travel.
- Good starting salary with regular pay raises.
- Tax-free housing and food allowances.
- 100% of your postgraduate tuition costs via tuition assistance.
- Space-available travel outside the United States for a nominal fee.
- Base Legal Assistance Office.
- Possible eligibility for Veterans’ Administration Home Loans.
Career Broadening Opportunities
Special Duty Assignments, Retraining, Overseas Duty, Contingency Temporary Duties, assignments in the Pentagon, teaching Air Force ROTC at a university, working with other services, etc.
Family Support Centers
This support agency offers families services such as assistance with transitions and moving, as well classes and support groups covering many family challenges.
Child Development Centers (CDC)
CDCs are certified by the Department of Defense and accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. Fees are based on total family income. After-school programs are available at some CDCs or youth centers.
Other Entitlements Include
- Transportation for dependents on duty changes
- Shipment of household goods overseas and in the United States
- Schooling for dependents overseas and at some bases in the continental United States
- Station housing and cost-of-living allowances at many locations
- Travel allowance for privately owned vehicle (POV) pickup/delivery at port
- Storage of POV when reassigned to POV-restricted area
Programs for Documented Personal Difficulties
- Emergency leave with priority on military aircraft
- Humanitarian reassignment
- Permissive reassignment
- Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)
- Air Force Aid Society
Information courtesy AFROTC. For more information, visit http://afrotc.com/careers/officer-life/life-on-base/